Overheating issue

mephisto

Reaction score
Conditions: Dry
Time: 11pm
Temp: 24c

Last night i had been driving around for a few hours slowly, (not actually stopping too often) in traffic in Zurich. All was fine, until i pulled into a Mcdonalds driveby about 12.30am, after being stationary about 3-4mins i heard a beep and saw a giant thermometer on my dash, and the temp somewhere around 110 i guess.
Quickly cut the engine.
Rushed back into MCdonalds and grabbed some water, let the car cool off for about 5mins and checked the header tank which was fine.
Fired her up, temp back solid on 90 again dead center dial, cruised home slowly about 4mile drive back to house, sat stationary for a few mins, temp stayed normal.

Foxed me that, as i was originally expecting a house to have popped, it's a 10year old S3 (W reg) without ever having a hose replaced! Did have a new water pump fitted on its cam belt replacement about 2 years ago.

Could this have been electrical?

Any ideas as it's here with me in Zurich a long way from home!

TIA.

on top the battery there is a black box with a 30 amp fuse in it which controls the fan check that as i had a problem like that and it was the fuse was britle so i just changed it for a new 1 and all was fine i think its the middle 1

So your fan wasnt coming on at all or intermittent?

mine did not come on at all you can test it by putting on the aircon

Well i drove around tonight, did as you said, turned on Aircon, fan kicked in straight away. SO i have no fking idea what or why my temp all a sudden went through the roof, apart from as you say there's a connection problem with my fan maybe? Thanks for your help anyway.