breaking traction... too easily

OllyM

Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker (read a lot here while preparing to by my first audi) but no posts. Thanks for all the good advice I've read so far!

Reading around about others not being able to break traction very easily, I've become a bit worried about my 8L S3. It has started pretty readily spinning the front tyres off the line, quite different to when I bought it when despite trying (and trying hard), I couldn't often get more than a little squeal out of the tyres. I thought it was tyre wear, but they're now brand new and it still happens. The fronts wore a lot more quickly than the rears, and not unevenly (not just the outside or inside).

I'm wondering... has anyone heard of/experienced the quattro system being compromised in some way so not enough power goes to the rear wheels? How might I test it?

Olly

Depends a lot on the tyres, especially if they are the only change before the problem occurred. If you went with Dunlops then it's totally normal, I could wheelspin my old GTi in 3rd with Dunlops on the front (and that was a shyte Mk3 GTi). Also you need to allow the tyres to bed in. Otherwise it's something more sinister as in theory you shouldn't be able to spin the wheels at all if the Haldex is working properly (other than a small squeak).

It's near impossible to get wheelspin in an S3 unless the surface is slippery, even with poor tyres! I think there maybe a problem with your Haldex system, check your fuses for a start to see if any are blown.

Fuse number 31... 5amp... check for fault codes using VAGCOM or similar....

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the replies :)

I'll take out and test that fuse tuffty... and see if I can get a mate's vagcom plugged in.