Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

Question How do I remove the air vent to install a boost gauge?

Hi everyone.

I have finally bought an average boost gauge for Ł25, it does not come with the pod, and I want to modify the air vent on top of the headlight switch to fit the gauge inside it. (It is small enough to fit) but stuck on the first hurdle of removal.

Does anyone have a guide on how to remove it without damaging anything?

and how hard would it be to get the wire and hose running through there.

Thanks
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    anyone?
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - ÂŁ2500 Mods Inc

Neutral

Status
    as above thats what ive got, you can source power from the headlights switch, you will have to take the bottom bit of dash off 2-3 torx screws located left / right under the steering to get to it, theres a guide on fitting here http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/boostgauge/boostgauge.htm
    jabba..dabba..doood!
    Now for sale (51) S3
    PM me!

4th Gear

Status
    thanks everyone.
    I have done a DIY job of it, special thanks to tuffy, who has been constantly replying to my private messages.

I will buy one of those if they were half the price but for now the DIY would have to do.

4th Gear

Status

4th Gear

Status

4th Gear

Status
    few issues though, firstly the light diming does not work on it, so would have to rewire it at some point. and I when the engine is on it stay on -20 so thats vacume. I guess it is because I have connected it to the vacume line on top of the DV. I saw boost spike of 20 and held it at 15 psi.

1st Gear

Status
    Looks pretty sweet this.

Was this a couple of hour job? wondering whether to start it now or next weekend

Cheers

5th Gear

Status
    I wired mine into the air vent light harness so it dims. maybe you could rewire it into there.

MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

1st Gear

Status
    Managed to get it in the vent quite well, dont look pretty yet but its in. Just need to wire it up. Would like to wire it the way you said but i have no idea how too, i'm not an electrician lol. I have four wires: Yellow, Purple, Orange and black...
    Last edited by actualeddie; 15th April 2012 at 20:56.

5th Gear

Status
    Mine only had two, black and a red. The air vent harness is also just a black and red so was simple for me

Chop the wires, splice together again with gauge wires. Then heat shrink so they don't come loose and then just use elec tape to hide the splice.
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    ill have to have another look, really dont know why it has all the wires, here it is

Halfords | Autogauge Boost Gauge

5th Gear

Status
    Well as its only a mechanical gauge, all you need is to power the led. And just run a hose to dv like you have.

I'd just get a 9v battery and find what two wires you need to illuminate the face. Should just be one neg and one pos. And just use those two. Forget about the rest.

Unless it's a completely different design to mine. But mines mechanical too and only requires two wires.

1st Gear

Status
    nice one, ill give it a go tomorrow. Cheers

Reverse Gear

Status
    Can someone send me instructions how to remove audi a3 2000 air vents(passenger) ?