Headlight washer repair

danger S3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post as I just got myself a S3 on Wednesday, I am very impressed with the car.
I've been pottering about with it fixing wee bits and pieces but one of the things I've noticed is the caps on the bumper for the headlight washers aren't sitting flush and secure.
for starters the fuse had blown for them so they weren't working but that's sorted and the do work now
does anyone know how to make them stay out for maintenance and inspection purposes?

I think its a bumper off jobbie, mine arent flush anymore since the snow we had, as they ended up getting stuck!!

damn, I was hoping you wouldn't say that :-( I don't really want to take the bumper off.
I might try and see if I can trick them to stay up by whipping the key out when there up although I doubt it will work.
Its almost like the clips that hold the bumper coloured plastic caps on have snapped.

damn, I was hoping you wouldn't say that :-( I don't really want to take the bumper off.
I might try and see if I can trick them to stay up by whipping the key out when there up although I doubt it will work.
Its almost like the clips that hold the bumper coloured plastic caps on have snapped.

There's a few fix's on here, you can do it without taking the bumper off.

Not been funny, but the bumper is a piece of cake to take off mate, takes 5 mins tops.

well I took the bumper off and right enough it was a pretty simple process, I used this guide in the stickies S3-Bumper-Removal-How-too
after I made the original post I went outside to find a puddle of screen wash under the off side headlight, i found that the headlight washer cylinder was leaking, I have ordered a new one and it should arrive tomorrow. looking forward to getting it fixed so the car doesn't beep at me every time it does its start-up check.
I'm gonna give the inter cooler and in behind the bumper a good clean out while its off again (probably excessive but why not eh)

I found out the reason the headlight washers weren't sitting flush was because the actual washer units weren't retracting fully.
I ended up replacing both of them and now they sit nice and flush with the bumper, i also replaced all the screws in the wheel arch that hold the bumper on because alot of them were well rusted

hi there how much were you to buy the washers units, i removed my bumper to find that they are gone and the covers have just been stuck down, found a hose with a bolt in the end floating around also, slight concerning!

the washer units were £56 +vat each.
The part numbers for my S3 were A8L0 955 101 and A8L0 955 102
The washer caps were about £10 each i think and that's primed so you gotta spray them