Dump Valve vs Diverter valve

dannyh

Nogaro S3
Reaction score
Ok i dont know much about dump / diverter valves so i hope you can help me.

My 1.8 turbo is standard at the moment and i can hear the standard dump valve.

I want this noise to be louder but i dont want it to be slower, i dont know how they work but would a diverter valve be better for the engine, would that make a noise

Can someone help me because i dont know a lot as you can tell

cheers

The diverter (or recirc) vave will put the boost pressure back into the systemm to aid the turbo spool up. A dump valve dumps the boost pressure to atmosphere which is why you get a louder pisshhh noise. The ECU on the Audis is setup for a recirc valve and isn't happy when running a full dump valve. The alternative is to buy the forge valve which allows you to recirc some of the pressure and dump the rest so you get a bit of a louder sound but to be honest you're better off sticking with a decent recirc valve like the Forge 007P.

Buy a Forge 007p (or similar diverter) and a panel filter or suitable cone/CAI and you will hear the 'whoosh' a bit more.... 1.8t's are not designed to run atmospheric dump valves, they must be recirculating (diverter) otherwise it will lead to poor running of the engine... if you car is remapped this will increase the noise as there is more pressure to release...

<tuffty/>

and if you can hear the standard dump valve its likely to be broken.

you could be a pikey and drill your airbox :eyebrows:

Im a pikey so qualified to say that it works, draw backs being the possibility of drawing warmer air from engine bay, but meh. Would also add a pipercross panel filter in there or even just a new audi filter.

Mine was louder once i replaced my faulty standard DV with a Forge 007, i also mounted it with the vacuum pipe facing passenger side rather than upwards.
Also became more audible when i fitted a pipercross panel filter.

There was a Dump valve fitted to a 1.8T that i purchased a while back, and it ran like a bag of pooh. I binned it, and replaced it with a standard recirculating DV, and noticed a power incrase instantly.

yes it is.

Is this major?
will it make the car loose power?

Assuming its a OEM DV then the diaphram has gone so needs to be replaced... as the pressure can't be released easily then the fluttering noise could be the onset of compressor stall which not a good thing on a little turbo like the K03/4 but I suspect the noise is just the poorly DV trying to do its job and can't...

You will be loosing power as you will effectively have a boost leak....

Replacement DV's such as the Forge won't give power but are serviceable and have a longer service life than the OEM ones... that said OEM are much cheaper and do the job just as well, they just wear out much sooner and don't look as bling :)

<tuffty/>

sori to hijack, but my car is fluttering atm also, so i guess i should replace it? the forge 007p is bout 75 quid so i gathered, how much u lookin at for the oem one? is that the bosch one?

( again sori my knowledge of this is pants, i only know about renaults =p)

sori to hijack, but my car is fluttering atm also, so i guess i should replace it? the forge 007p is bout 75 quid so i gathered, how much u lookin at for the oem one? is that the bosch one?

( again sori my knowledge of this is pants, i only know about renaults =p)

Hi mate i think they were £20-25 tops iirc, for the OEM and i think it is bosh,