JMB RetrofitsBadger5

Thread: Turbo options

1st Gear

Status

Turbo options

Hi guys just wondering how many of you guys are running diffrent turbos for more power on ur s3

2. # ADS
    ADS

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    I had my turbo rebuilt by CR recently with upgraded 360degree thrust bearings. Turbo had to be rebuilt due to the incident i had so thought i'd give it a little more welly than usual. Didn't want to hybrid it because i don't want to spend that much money on the S3.
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 kam View Post
    Hi guys just wondering how many of you guys are running diffrent turbos for more power on ur s3
    Read Tuftty_Blokes build thread mate. He's running a bigger turbo and aiming for a comfy 400bhp
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    so thought i'd give it a little more welly than usual.
    Awwwww.... I love that saying....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Am I right in saying I 'could' run up to 350 bhp on my standard engine it being the older APY engine ?
    I would be getting the following parts, exhaust & downpipe, CR hybrid & a custom remap, already have forge 007 on the car.. I'm looking for around 300 bhp if I go for it on standard internals, is it possible? ... thing is peoples opinions differ ALOT on if the standard bottom end will take it. Car has done some milage though so maybe rods would be better as well, what are peoples thoughts ?

Also does anyone know if the Evo 5 turbo could be made to fit as I have one in my shed
    Ebony black 99 S3, Forge 007, cone filter, goodridge braided lines, apex lowering springs. More to come...

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Am I right in saying I 'could' run up to 350 bhp on my standard engine it being the older APY engine ?
    I would be getting the following parts, exhaust & downpipe, CR hybrid & a custom remap, already have forge 007 on the car.. I'm looking for around 300 bhp if I go for it on standard internals, is it possible? ... thing is peoples opinions differ ALOT on if the standard bottom end will take it. Car has done some milage though so maybe rods would be better as well, what are peoples thoughts ?

Also does anyone know if the Evo 5 turbo could be made to fit as I have one in my shed
    I wouldn't go that far on standard internals myself. But that's because I've had a bad experience with them....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    I have gone down the route off hybrid turbo. Getting it mapped on 22nd cant wait. Speaking to Jabba sport chap whos going to map my S3 he said to me the internals are good for 350 Torque lb.ft. He said there a S3's running big turbo on standard internals.

Remap wise he told me Peak boost will be 1.6bar and drop off to 1.5bar and i will see 285bhp - 300bhp+

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    I wouldn't go that far on standard internals myself. But that's because I've had a bad experience with them....
    What happened & what sort of power were you running ??

Also i'd fit a FMIC.
    Ebony black 99 S3, Forge 007, cone filter, goodridge braided lines, apex lowering springs. More to come...

5th Gear

Status
    Forged rods FTW
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Its not power its torque and revs that kill 1.8t's... still yet to see a genuine (and sustainable) 300bhp from 'any' K04 turbo but the torque you can get from them is over 300ftlbs pretty easily which is where you 'will need' rods...

As the engines get older they will be more susceptible to bending rods even at lower torque.... read the K04 hybrid thread in the stickies, Speedy Steves S3 is due back at Badger 5 soon so we will see how the hybrid performs...

What flange is the Evo turbo and what is the spec? not all turbos are suitable for the 1.8t engine and I suspect it would be big enough that rods and potentially valves are a prerequisite.... biggest prob you will have is finding a manifold for it if its not a std mount on the turbine housing..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Evo 5 runs TD05HR-16G6-10.5T not sure if it's T2 or t3 footprint though, oh & twin scroll.

RIP S3dave

Status
    there is'nt a manifold for it to "just bolt on" unless you go the whole hog and go tubular manifold..

>300lbft on the older cars makes me nervous
    sure, some bt cars are running low to mid 300bhp, BUT, they are often IHI's and not producing that level of torque.. 280-300lbft from 1.4-1.6bar peak boost...

Feeling lucky with your rods?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    I had my turbo rebuilt by CR recently with upgraded 360degree thrust bearings. Turbo had to be rebuilt due to the incident i had so thought i'd give it a little more welly than usual. Didn't want to hybrid it because i don't want to spend that much money on the S3.
    Probably a daft question but any difference in power?

1st Gear

Status
    there is'nt a manifold for it to "just bolt on" unless you go the whole hog and go tubular manifold..

>300lbft on the older cars makes me nervous
    sure, some bt cars are running low to mid 300bhp, BUT, they are often IHI's and not producing that level of torque.. 280-300lbft from 1.4-1.6bar peak boost...

Feeling lucky with your rods?
    How easy are the rods to get fitted ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Head off, sump off for a start... jobs not difficult but it is a little involved... some pics etc in my build thread...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Tuffty, I'll take a look through...

5th Gear

Status
    Its real easy you drive to Bills (Badger5) like i did and pick it up a few weeks later job done hehe
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Steve View Post
    Its real easy you drive to Bills (Badger5) like i did and pick it up a few weeks later job done hehe
    This method also works well

<tuffty/>

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Awwwww.... I love that saying....
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_ice View Post
    Probably a daft question but any difference in power?
    Definitely a difference in power. It's not ALOT more but it's a little bit more. I'm looking 5-10bhp increase but my map needs to be tweaked to adjust to this. I get alot more torque at 3k revs which i never used to get as my remap runs quite smooth. It's alot of money to hybrid because you then have to think about how much the other mods are to suit the hybrid turbo which comes to way too much money for me. Keeping the standard K04 and running as much nice power as i can get out of it is good for me
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!