Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

is it normal for an a3 to sound like a scooby?

i have an audi a3 1.8t quattro i have fitted a carbon airfilter today and now in the lower rev range it sounds like a subaru rather than a normal induction roar, is this normal or is something wrong with my car?
    any help would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    hello and welcome to ASN

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tyson View Post
    i have an audi a3 1.8t quattro i have fitted a carbon airfilter today and now in the lower rev range it sounds like a subaru rather than a normal induction roar, is this normal or is something wrong with my car?
    When you install an induction kit it will change the noise of air flowing into the engine as there is more air getting to it I think I installed an induction kit on a clio and the noise changed a lot and have fitted a k&n panel filter to my s3 and the is a small difference on induction noise anyway your car must sound pretty good if you ask me!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    u said it mate:
    "i have fitted a carbon airfilter"

Sure this does change how the car sounds. Im pretty sure nothing wrong with your car, but if you are that worried, well get that filter off and re-install the factory filter and see if it will sounds how it used to sound

6th Gear

Status
    i think the only way youd get a 20vt sounding as stupid as a scooby would be if the 20vt was running on 3 cylinders

is the idle really lumpy?

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    i think the only way youd get a 20vt sounding as stupid as a scooby would be if the 20vt was running on 3 cylinders

is the idle really lumpy?
    Yep, my first thought. Misfire.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

6th Gear

Status
    thats cos youre my brother from a different mother

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    thats cos youre my brother from a different mother
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    it did seem a bit restrictive in the higher rpm range. and bogs a little off the line now. it sounds good but ive fitted induction kits to other cars and it never sounded like this, as soon as you get above 2000-2500 rpm the noise stops and turns into a normal induction sound?

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    what carbon filter is it? does it have a brand?

my carbonio has a loudsucking sound and then a whoosh which can only be described to sound like darth vader

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

1st Gear

Status
    hi its not a branded one, when at low rpm when the power bogs it makes a burbling noise like a subaru exhaust makes, then in the midrange it sounds normal, and im sure it seems gutless in the higher rpm range as though its running out of power

Jay
    2nd Gear

Status
    I fitted a simota filter a few weeks back and mines sounds the same below 2500 rpms then sounds different when on boost. pretty sure its fine. No errors logged or any driving problems experienced. Seems to do it more on cold starts.

Back in a turbo!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    An A3/S3 will never sound like a Scooby lol.

Inferi Black Cupra K1

6th Gear

Status
    take out a spark plug, or two and youll be close (and obv put on a proper big boy exhaust with comedy dv) and youll be close

scooby = sounds like its broken

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I fitted a simota filter a few weeks back and mines sounds the same below 2500 rpms then sounds different when on boost. pretty sure its fine. No errors logged or any driving problems experienced. Seems to do it more on cold starts.
    Ummmm, no, I'm pretty sure that it's NOT fine.

How on earth is your car not running properly ever going to be fine? The OP is claiming that the A3 he's driving sounds like a Scooby - meaning running on 3. I've heard it myself when I've had coils go.

Misfires mean one of two things in this scenario. Too much fuel, or too much air. Too much fuel will cost you a bomb over a long period of time, and too much air is even worse, as will cause detonation and things like holes in pistons.

If it was OK before, and you've fitted this induction kit and now it's running like a bag of nails, something is VERY wrong.

Firstly, remove the bloody thing and put the air box back on. See how it runs then. If OK, then throw the induction kit in the bin.

Alot of these no name brand induction kits have a ludicrously small air filter element inside the casing, which is VERY restrictive to the engine. Air flow through a turbo engine is one thing you do not want to restrict. N/A cars it doesn't matter so much, but when the turbo is pulling air through the filter at (Based on your car if standard- 1.8 TQS 180 BHP) 144 G/S, you need something to accomodate that air flow, not make it as hard as possible for it to get through.

My advice is remove the thing and retest to make sure it is OK then. If so, invest in a good, free flowing induction kit, otherwise there will be potentially disastrous consequences.

You have been warned.
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    I take it A3 has a MAF like the S3 ? Have you unplugged it ??
    Ebony black 99 S3, Forge 007, cone filter, goodridge braided lines, apex lowering springs. More to come...

1st Gear

Status
    no ive attached the air filter on the end of the MAF. im not too sure but the car still feels about the same in midrange but it does feel restrictive now in the higher rpm range, don't really want to damage the engine so was going to take it off and was thinkin of putting a carbonio CAI on? if its a good idea does anyone know where to get one cheap?

3rd Gear

Status
    carbonio and cheap are two words that you cant use in the same sentence mate

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlippo View Post
    carbonio and cheap are two words that you cant use in the same sentence mate
    Agreed, but not cheap, because they aren't ****e.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    but before you go anywhere... what are you actually planning to gain with a new airfilter? i higly doubt itll be power

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    worth keeping an eye on ebay and the ukmkiv's forum etc edition 38 perhaps or even the seat cupra forums.

might get one on there for half retail price.

the sound is like no other but the price is nut for that. depends how much u want the sound lol

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

1st Gear

Status
    so a mk iv golf carbonio kit will fit a a3?, ive got a REVO remap and forge dump valve and the guy said to get a free flowing airfilter and exhaust then i can have the stage 2 remap thats why i've got the airfilter.

Back in a turbo!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Carbonio's aren't crap though, plenty of Mk4 Golf 1.8T's use them. You need to put the car on vag-com ideally to see if there's a problem with the car. As mentioned above, sounds like a wack coilpack.

Inferi Black Cupra K1

1st Gear

Status
    don't you have to buy the vag-com software? and a cable? or is there somewhere i can go ?

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    oh no, the "cone filters are crap" debate again!

And Scoobys sound sexual btw! flat 4 sound Awsome when tuned!

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

Status
    tyson, can get a vag com lead on ebay for about a tenner, or you can get the full software off of NHN on here. As for a cone filter etc, as long as you protect them from heat soak there fine. i proved gains via Vag com using a kit i developed for the 1.8t, walked over the OEM box all doy long. Alot of non OEM haters on here. :P

Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

...Watching you!

Status
    Simply, yes. Its normal.

If you mean especially at full throttle at low RPM then it does sound like a scooby a bit.

As long as the power is smooth, then its fine.
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

1st Gear

Status
    thats exactly how it is at low revs when throttle is fully open. in that case i might keep this filter on for a while thanks RichA3Turbo

5th Gear

Status
    have you swapped it back to the airbox yet then? It shouldnt gurgle, just take it off and put the standard one back on. turbo looses puff after around 5500rpm so thats why it tails off then.
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

1st Gear

Status
    its as RichA3Turbo said it only makes the scooby noise when throttle is fully open at low rpm...to be honest there wasn't any difference between the airbox and filter i just like the noise it makes.

5th Gear

Status
    Id get something decent on there though if people are saying they can restrict flow. you was saying it felt flat etc lol
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

Neutral

Status
    i resently added a powertec induction kit to my s3 and my friend added a k&n to his 1.8t both are cone filters. the sound you getting is normal imo in low revs you get a scooby esk ruble but its short lived as asoon ans you give it any beans the noise of the induction roar and turbo drown it out i find if you finding it flat you may have some other underline issue as giving the car more air should mean more power also might depend on the state of your exaust have you checked that
    wish i had a mtm

Current Mods: 210-260 AMD Remap,POWERTEC SL1000 Induction kit

1st Gear

Status
    i put the standard airbox back on and drilled a hole near the front to snuggly fit a pipercross cold air feed from the front bumper, it seems better than the induction kit so il leave it as airbox for now, the exhaust looks in pretty good condition.

Status
    i put the standard airbox back on and drilled a hole near the front to snuggly fit a pipercross cold air feed from the front bumper, it seems better than the induction kit so il leave it as airbox for now, the exhaust looks in pretty good condition.
    Let me guess, the misfire has gone?
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    Carbonio's aren't crap though, plenty of Mk4 Golf 1.8T's use them. You need to put the car on vag-com ideally to see if there's a problem with the car. As mentioned above, sounds like a wack coilpack.
    sorry to change topic what wheels are they mate??

nicko86

Status
    take it off, see what its like without it!! simple break-downs explain a lot. if the filter has no manufacture or name id be a little worried with universal filters doing more damage than good. might be acceptable for a first car with a crappy 1.1!

nicko86

Status
    **** sorry didnt read all the blogs! you've blatently done this already!!! i feel small!