buying an x plate A3 turbo need some advice

longpod

Reaction score
Hello everyone

recently re-registered after being away from audi been running a low mileage standard mk3 8v golf gti.

been wanting to return to audi but like my golf had to find an unmolested model,

thankfully after alot of searching found a

audi A3 on an x-plate, lady owned from new, 73k on the clock f.a.s.h cambelt done at 70k.

the advice i need is are there any common faults,niggles etc any reliability issues too,

on the flip side of the advice due to being a turbo can these be properly tweaked for more thrust but obtaining reliability.

thank you

I myself have an X-plate 1.8T mate, and it's a brilliant car.

I took mine to Rtech for a stage 1 remap, and I've ended up with 200-205bhp, and it goes really well. So much better than standard, with no real loss of reliability.

Niggles are the same as all 20vt cars really, cambelt and water pump, rust on the roof rails and lower doors, ARB bushes and wishbones tend to be shot, and the DV WILL be split.

Other than that, not too much to worry about!

thanks prawn.

with the belt already been done at audi think that`ll be covered it did cost £300, out of curiosity when the belts done do they change the waterpump too (just thinking mk4 golf turbo is it the same engine)

funny the rust,bushes,wishbones sound vw related niggles too, erm kind of new to turbos is dv the dumpvalve.

also glad to hear a decent tweak can give 200+ but keeps reliability,going to try and give it a diet.

The DV is the diverter valve, often misreferred to as a dump valve, the standad one costs about £28 but lots of folks including myself replace the standard with a Forge 007p (£75 ish) as it is a better design and perportedly more reliable especially on a remapped engine.