Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

S3 8L-What are the best options for induction kit?

Not really noticed that many kits whilst ive been looking around!

K&N 57i will be good and will i hope give good results
    Carbonio is a replica kit from memory and isnt too good???

Any feedback would be good will be going for one asap

Thanks
    52 Nogaro Blue S3 225-Revo S1-Forge 007p-18" Genuine RSTTs-Falken FK452-Autostyle Mats-Bosch Aero wipers
    NEXT-Powdercoating wheels-H&R Spacers-Neuspeed CAI-Pipeworx exhaust-MC JL Sub/Alpine Amp, Dewipered, A total bodywork makeover before its sold!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    If you want to make your car less powerful but make more noise get an induction kit! loads about it on here bud this was the first search I found!

Most people tend to go with a green cotton filter in the standard air box (what i have done also)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...ht=air+filters

3rd Gear

Status
    It is not gonna be absolutly less powerfull...it will be less powerfull when its gonna be hot outside and the engine bay is gonna be hot too...then the air temperature will get higher and the air less dens which equals less power.
    Many TT users concluded that the best induction kif is the neuspeed one...it wont make the car faster but it is better than the K&N ones...and i recall seeing this with dyno data too. The neuspeed comes with a heat sheild too.
    Thats my own opinion = if you absolutly want an induction kit get the neuspeed one so you have the sound, the look and the sound, and it is better rated on the power side than the K&N

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    I'm gonna put in my opinion and escape from this topic before it turns into Modern Warfare Call Of Duty style!

Get a BMC. I have no problem at all with mine and love it! Prevents heat soak better than the open cone filters. When temperatures drop and cool down, unscrew the carbon shield off and there you have an open cone filter! Best of both worlds really!

I'm going now LOL
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Neutral

Status
    ^^^^^^ Hi well, i was reccomended a BMC cold air induction kit, there abit pricey but my local revo tuning group said that i would defo see an increase in power, hope this helps..

ZoomZoom

Status
    Greencotton Dyno Twist Enclosed Induction kit, never had any problems with it

Open kits do sound nice but then they can cause "flat spot" drawing in hot engine bay air

Stick with the box and put a new panel filter in
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

Neutral

Status
    the induction kit i got from Amd essex is said to give 8-15bhp and tbh it does fell faster the trottle respons is better and and smoother if your gona get one get one from a vag tuning compony mine came with a heat shild cone and fixings.at a guess im thinking you get the 8 bhp unmaped and the 15 bhp once mapped im no expert i just trust people that been doing it for aslong as amd
    wish i had a mtm

Current Mods: 210-260 AMD Remap,POWERTEC SL1000 Induction kit

6th Gear

Status
    they are sales people. you cant trust them!

the air filter you already have is larger than that in the B5 RS4 and that left the factory with 380bhp. your standard filter is fine!

at the most you might want to mod the air box a touch if you think youre being restricted (ive not looked in depth at this yet) but youre best off using your brain and putting some thought into what you change and why rather than just following the crowd and doing what everyone else does

Neutral

Status
    New paper element. Job done.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FumaS3 View Post
    the induction kit i got from Amd essex is said to give 8-15bhp and tbh it does fell faster the trottle respons is better and and smoother if your gona get one get one from a vag tuning compony mine came with a heat shild cone and fixings.at a guess im thinking you get the 8 bhp unmaped and the 15 bhp once mapped im no expert i just trust people that been doing it for aslong as amd
    Mate, no way on this earth will get 8bhp on a filter on a S3, and 15bhp when mapped, not a chance. AMD are talking pure ****, sorry to tell you.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

6th Gear

Status
    redline mag a couple years back had a play about with a staff 225 TT. it lost 10bhp due to a cone filter, on a dyno, with the bonnet up

imagine what thats like under a bonnet hahaha

iirc the exhaust gained well though. might have to dig it out

S3

Status
    The problem with asking a question like this is, everyone has an opinion. A lot of those opinions differ and very few of those opinions are based on fact.

Someone hears something from a mate of a mate, from another forum, from sales ******** etc and they regurgitate it on here. This isn't directed at anyone in particular by the way, so lets all try and stop our knickers from twisting!

Food for thought, and based on real world testing - I believe Badger5 has a cone filter on his 600bhp race car? With a dedicated cold air feed and some shielding too I would imagine, but a cone filter nonetheless.

Also, I believe it was our very own Westle who simply smoothed out his standard airbox and got small gains in both bhp and torque. And thats without spending a penny.

The standard airbox maybe up to the job, but as with the rest of the car, its not beyond improvement.
    Audi S3

6th Gear

Status
    badgers car is a touch different from ours

on my mapped 20vt ive gained a delta of c.20lbft from 4000rpm onwards with just simple mods, all verified with gtech. thats not opinion, thats mods making a verifiable difference

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i always swear by Ess threes testing as it was done on the same day, same rollers and in as near test environment without labbing your car...... he even tested without a kit on at all.... conclusion is that the cone will lose you power due to the heat it drags in, this isnt debatable and you may well see a greater influx of air through vagcom...but this will be hotter air rendering any benefit useless

Vagcom for reference then calculates using the sensor readings to show an improvement in bhp.....but it is only a calculation based on half the facts, its doesnt take inot account the temp of the air going into the airbox and so i would not be betting a limb on vag results

But you can do the cone if you want and you will notice a difference and suffer the placebo effect in that you'll beeleive its faster.... but you will be kidding yourself and justifying what you have just wasted your money on.

Im going to be modding the misus A3 airbox with a 4" cold feed to front bumper next chance i get, may do mine once the FMIC comes. That is the way forward and has never been proven to be wrong conclusively
    Last edited by 1animal1; 12th July 2010 at 13:37.
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

6th Gear

Status
    so correct. cones do come with a free serving of placebo due to the noise.

as for essthree, he posted a bit on CGTI. he loves his verifying and testing things. id trust his opinion too

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I rate the 4" trunking I used on my std airbox and Green Cotton panel filter as a CAI... with an ambient outside temp of 22deg and a hot engine with IAT's of over 40 degrees showing (no load, off boost pottering), IAT's dropped (almost straight away) to around 30 degrees when I put my foot in (not just the FMIC working either)

The inlet to the std airbox is too small IMO and the 4" trunking idea came from Ess_Three too...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    carbonio isnt a replica of anything!

its one of the best CAI's around. if not the best.

it doesnt suffer from heat soak either as the filter is behind the bumper.
    Last edited by DaveA3; 12th July 2010 at 14:09.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

6th Gear

Status
    i dont like carbonios at ALL tbh. i couldnt see anything in the design to handle aerodynamics properly

and its not a paperfilter so its not filtering as well as id want

its an air filter. whats its function? the clue is in the name

i think carbonios are another sheep syndrom thing

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    carbonio isnt a replica of anything!

its one of the best CAI's around. if not the best.

it doesnt suffer from heat soak either as the filter is behind the bumper.
    I like the look of the Carbonio too but alas it won't fit a std S3 due to the extra SMIC it has... K03 turbo'd VAG's don't have the passneger side one so all good... It would be tight on an S3 with a FMIC too with the pipework in the way but I plan to re-route mine when I go 60mm ends on the FMIC and free the space for a custom 3" or 4" alloy CAI...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    does a carbonio have a bell mouth inside it?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    does a carbonio have a bell mouth inside it?
    Narp...
    http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_mkiv.html

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    that just screams AVOID to me.

more marketing than substance, like so many other products out there

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Does work though mate... was fitted to a Leon FR with a hybrid K03... can't remember the MAF figures off the top of my head but they were up there with the best airflows seen from this turbo setup... sounded nice too

I must admit its a lot of cash though and you could arguably do the same using alloy bends for much less money.. which is what I plan to do

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    i cant see anything special about it at all. its just an enclosed cone filter and like i said before, doesnt even have a bell mouth in there. i cant see the novelty at all or how the cost is justified

personally i couldnt shell out the cost of one to test it back to back with my modded airbox, but i highly doubt that tat would gain anything

just a load of bling and marketting hype imo

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I concur... to a point... I will be testing the merits of a carbonio style CAI vs my current std airbox setup... this will be done on a dyno... granted the situation on my car is slightly different and Glens testing of similar applications was based around a K04 setup not a BT setup like mine...

I totally agree though for the price point the Carbonio is, I wouldn't buy one myself but its application is sound...

I would personally like to improve the cold air pick up point on mine as I have seen this work, I do want to test if I get more airflow from a carbonio style setup though but the first thing I am going to test will involve just sticking a cone filter on to see if there are any airflow gains... under bonnet temps are not relevant at this stage as the tests will be done on a dyno with an open bonnet and plenty of cooling fans.... If I get more airflow from open induction then I will persue a carbonio style CAI else I will just improve the location of the 4" trunking I currently use...

For an S3 with a K04 in any state of tune, the 4" trunking mod 'WILL' give you results without the expense of a Carbonio or similar..

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    has your battery been relocated to the boot? that would give you more scope to improve a remote cone setup.

the enlarged intake to the airbox has been done over and over and shown to gain, its logical really and probably optimal on a setup like mine thats close to standard

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    No, not relocated the battery as yet... not seen the need as I can get 4" trunking past it...

<tuffty/>

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    my neighbour has the carbonio on his Leon, it gives a weird chatter noise on full throttle, not too chavvy but defo not standard..... i think the only downside is the proximity to the ground in terms of sucking water up

he got lucky and got it off ebay for 30!! (or there abouts)
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    my neighbour has the carbonio on his Leon, it gives a weird chatter noise on full throttle, not too chavvy but defo not standard..... i think the only downside is the proximity to the ground in terms of sucking water up

he got lucky and got it off ebay for 30!! (or there abouts)
    gotta love hydro lock
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc09 View Post
    ^^^^^^ Hi well, i was reccomended a BMC cold air induction kit, there abit pricey but my local revo tuning group said that i would defo see an increase in power, hope this helps..
    I fitted the BMC on to my s3, far from an easy job but the results were pleasing. Car seemed a bit smoother off the line also sounds lovely in-between the gears.

My neighbour has the same kit on a LCR and he got similar results!
    Pricey peice of kit buy well worth it.

Like A Thristy Dingo ;)

Status
    I say uprated panel filter over any induction kit.

Induction kits sound ace but unless there set up right they lose you power FACT !!!