S3 (8L) recommended upgrade for ICE

stevewushu

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, I did try searching :-/

My S3 (1999) only has standard concert system, speakers and 6 cd changer. What are the recommended upgrades to get decent sounds? Head unit type/brand, speaker upgrade, sub/amp?

I really have no idea where to start other than from what I've read on here it's not worth getting the bose sub/amp.
I also want to connect my ipod directly aswell (not a fan of the fm transmitter or tape connection).

Cheers guys, you help is appreciated :icon_thumright:

I'm in the same position mate i have the BOSE System but the Concert head unit Volume button is ******** (common fault i believe) I'm after a decent aftermarket head unit that will hopefully work with the existing BOSE System as i dont want to buy another Concert Head unit for fear of it Buggering up again..

I'll keep an eye on this Thread for ideas mate. and if i get any advise myself i will pass it your way fella!! :cool:

I want a headunit that will work with the cd changer in the boot and also the speakers but then i want to be able to plug my ipod in.

I have just ordered a Connects2 adapter for my Bose concert system which uses the CD changer connector to interface with the Ipod. see http://www.connects2.co.uk/ part number CTAADIPOD003

I used one previously in my old 00 S-Type jag. They are limited in features in that you can only cycle through tracks and you lose use of the CD changer, also its not compatable with all the latest Ipod's/Iphone. The sound quality is spot on though and its about the best you can get without switching to an aftermarket headunit.

Last edited:
I recently overhauled the sounds in my S3 and have ended up with my best ever sounding install.

I kept the standard concert headunit and used a Parrot Mki9200 bluetooth kit for Ipod / USB connectivity. An andymac stealth sub combined with kappa infinity speakers all round and a couple of Alpine amps finished off the install.

The andymac 6.5" JL sub upgrade is just amazing. I'm happier with the sound from this than I was with a 12" square kicker L7 in my last motor. The sound that comes from such a small sub has to heard to be believed. To really top it off the car looks standard apart from the Parrot display.

The standard headunit is more than capable of producing quality snd when paired with good quality amps so use the cash for the new HU to get some decent speakers.

If you want to go down a similar route give me a shout as I can still remember what leads are required and what speakers I bought.

Well mines doin my head in at the moment.

The speakers work fine when the radios on, but when i switch other to cd mode the right speakers seem to either not work or go really quiet, if i go over a bump it seems to either make them work again or cut out.

Its really pi**ing me off, cant ber a faulty speaker connection can it as the speakers work fine with the radio, its just the cd function.

Anyone any ideas?

iv also got faulty connections when going over bumps and round corners i seem to lose a speaker. Quite hard to find a fault when its so on/off.

Im also packing the AMSS, and its amazing, the 6.5" sub give a surprising amount of boom. And then you dont get a horrible looking sub in the boot.

iv also got faulty connections when going over bumps and round corners i seem to lose a speaker. Quite hard to find a fault when its so on/off.

Im also packing the AMSS, and its amazing, the 6.5" sub give a surprising amount of boom. And then you dont get a horrible looking sub in the boot.

Is your when you have the radio or cd on?

yup i have that aswell i lose a speaker temporarily when i hit a bump or hard corner... strange!
will def get an andymac stealth sub, sounds perfect for the S3. Will keep the std concert head unit but consider upgrading speakers after i've had the sub.

Well mines doin my head in at the moment.

The speakers work fine when the radios on, but when i switch other to cd mode the right speakers seem to either not work or go really quiet, if i go over a bump it seems to either make them work again or cut out.

Its really pi**ing me off, cant ber a faulty speaker connection can it as the speakers work fine with the radio, its just the cd function.

Anyone any ideas?

My old A3 TQ had the same issue, used to drive me mad - especially as the radio is so cack most of the time.
Fixed it in the end by mistake. I was hunting around in the boot cavity for loose wires and ended up smacking the CD changer out of frustration. Was fine after that! I'm not recommending this as a surefire or sensible fix but it worked for me!

I had this isse, but only after I replaced my CD changer. I found out that it was the connection from the CD changer to the head unit. If you feel around past the cd changer in the boot you should see the 8 pin DIN male to female connection from your CD changer. If you disconnect this and connect it again it should work fine. It worked for me anyway. I'm sure this is the connection which would be causing you the fault since it only affects the CD player.

Hope that helps