Quattro...... or not?!

JCC1981

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used A3 soon and i've been looking at gettin a 1.8T Sport, i've seen a Quattro version recently that meets almost all my spec that i'm looking for, but i can get a standard 1.8T sport with extra that the quattro doesn't have (Bose upgrade, cd changer, heated side windows, etc) for the same price.

So i'm torn....is the quattro worth the money? does it make much difference? (Fun, MPG, etc).

Plus any recommendations on insurance companies would be cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The quattro is a completely different car to the 1.8TS.
You really have to drive them both to appreciate the different handling & feel. The 1.8TS is much livelier and more skittish and actually feels faster. The 1.8TQ feels more solid and heavier, even though it's faster in the wet, there's not much in it in the dry, the extra 30bhp being sapped by the additional weight. You have to push the quattro much harder to get it out of shape.
Forget Bose, it's crap, cd changer can be picked up on ebay for £100, and heated side windows? hardly a reason not to buy a car. The quattro does seem to suffer on the mpg (about 25) where you can get a decent 30mpg from the 1.8TS.
But definately drive both as they are radically different.

4wd and a turbo - you know it makes sense!

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
The quattro is a completely different car to the 1.8TS.
You really have to drive them both to appreciate the different handling & feel. The 1.8TS is much livelier and more skittish and actually feels faster. The 1.8TQ feels more solid and heavier, even though it's faster in the wet, there's not much in it in the dry, the extra 30bhp being sapped by the additional weight. You have to push the quattro much harder to get it out of shape.
Forget Bose, it's crap, cd changer can be picked up on ebay for £100, and heated side windows? hardly a reason not to buy a car. The quattro does seem to suffer on the mpg (about 25) where you can get a decent 30mpg from the 1.8TS.
But definately drive both as they are radically different.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, a well balanced review from Andy, keep them comin m8 ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I went for the quattro but I've been wondering if I made the right decision, once both cars are remapped the TS will be quicker being lighter and not having the power sapped by 4WD however the quattro is excellent in the wet and I've never had a problem getting the power down off the line so they both have there plus's.

Best thing would be to drive both cars and see for yourself

the thing that put me off the quattro is the extra running expenses and if anything goes wrong with the quattro system then its going to cost ££££s to get it fixed

yeah - running costs put me off, but now I think maybe I should have gone for the 4wd for handling. don't get me wrong my setup is fine for my driver style, I don't particularly race, but I think 4wd would be much more fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Really all depends on how hard you drive. If you arn't a hero in the bends and don't launch it from a standing start I wouldn't bother witht the 4WD, its an extra expense that you wont get the benifit from.

Standing starts with a Quattro just seem to push the wear from the tyres to the clutch (a FWD will simply spin off the excess power but the Quattro grips and fries the standard clutch if chipped and driven aggressively). In Winter my quattro drove over icy roads as if they weren't there and it is kind of cool powering out of corners and junctions (the back end will come round if booted from a junction which is a definate plus point).

Like AndyMac says it is basically down to personal perfence - I hate FWD as if pushed in bends you simply get understeer until you lift off (then if you are lucky lift off oversteer) but would be the first to admit this is down to my personal preference - the only FWD car I enjoyed was an Integra Type R which did not understeer how ever hard it was pushed.

The quattro system does not really seem to go wrong that much, you will get slightly less performance and use a bit more petrol but if you prefer the drive and feel go for it.

I spent about £300 on some amps, a subwoofer (AndyMac does an awesome unit for the A3 from what I hear) and speakers (all run from the standard stereo; it well worth the expense and much better than the Bose badged kit.

Take your time to decide if you can; the hunting round is the best bit!

Good luck,

Greg

All my mates who have quick 2wd cars,that have been in my car have said how much more surefooted it is and is easier to control.This is my 4th 200+ car ,first 4wd and its great,in this country ie always wet theres no choice to make .And it will have even more grip when suspension is finished. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Go quattro mate, the roads are now frosty, ive just took my new 1.9Tdi Quattro into audi for 2 weeks worth off warrenty (only had car 2weeks now) they lowned me a 1.8T 190Ps Fwd and its handling is poor, no more powering in on corners as when power creeps in so does the understeer, but the 4wd system, you can plow into a corner and still further accelarate without no worry if at all a little oversteer!

But as said above depends on you, cause it does take feeling away from the car slightly

is mine the only quattro that understeers like a [censored] then????

Two things to check -

the alignment (get AMD, QS Tuning or suchlike to do it, not Audi, and tell them you don't want understeer - they will give you advice and be able to set the car up properly)

tyres - decent rubber makes a difference.

Of course give them a call and see what they have to say first; that bit is free.

Greg

Personally I dont think quattro (or any 4wd) really stops understeer - the S3 understeers in standard trim, obviously how you drive dictates to what extent but it is still an understeer biased car.

For me, I feel with 4wd the car has more traction, but not necessarily more grip than a capable 2wd car...I suppose the biggest difference I noticed in the S3 compared to my Golf MkIV 1.8T was that you can actually accelerate around roundabouts in the wet without the front wheels sliding off towards the kerb and oblivion! and of course you can give it full beans in the wet from the lights as if if was dry (ie traction)!

Dunc

I went from a 5-speed 1.8T (150bhp), to a 6-speed 1.8T quattro (180bhp), and I think the difference is unbelievable! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There's way, way more pull - even in 6th c.f. 5th in the old 150. The extra torque from 2500rpm makes it feel a much faster car than my FWD 1.8T was.

And at peak output, that extra 30bhp more than makes up for the weight, in my books. It's 20% more power, at the end of the day - against 10% more weight... that's a fair increase in PWR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The way that 4WD lets you go slow in, fast out, is superb. My old 150 (again) used to just understeer if you buried the throttle mid-bend. Not a problem, you just hold off until out of the corner... But this quattro, even with 180bhp and shorter gearing, puts the power down and holds its line far better.

And as for economy, I'm getting the same MPG out of this as I did from the old FWD 1.8T. That might be due to 6th being taller than my old 5th, tho...

I think to make a fair comparison, you have to know the 1.8T inside out, and then jump into a quattro version. I put 50,000 miles on my old FWD 1.8T, got in the quattro, and knew it was right for me.

...but it's all personal opinion. Some people prefer having all the power at the front, a little bit manic - witness CTR, which is still a superb car. I just like the effortless traction of 4WD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Has anybody on here actually gone back from quattro, once they've had it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I went for the Quattro for the 4wd capability and the 6th gear. Plus it's just that little bit unusual than your average 1.8T.

The flexibility in 6th is a big plus. On motorways and A-roads you can just leave it sixth above 50mph and not ever need to change down unless you are really being insane with the overtaking. The grip is great - you can really slingshot out of bends - and the unstoppability of my car in snowy winter conditions (with winter tyres of course) is much appreciated. Just amazing on loose surfaces provided there's enough ground-clearance.

Yes it uses more petrol but it has a bigger tank (62 litres rather than 55) and so I tend to see 400miles between fills. Consumption around London can be ghastly though - saw just 170miles from a tank the other day around town.

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
62 litres rather than 55

[/ QUOTE ]

The tank is 62 litres in an A3 1.8T is it not?

I'm quite sure that my handbook said that the quattro models are the only A3s with the 62 litre tank but I could easily be wrong! I guess if you've managed to get more than 55 litres in the tank that would suggest that the tank is 62!

I alwyas thought it was 62... You'be got me thinking now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will check it out later!

Rich

I thought it was 60 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oops! forgot to look! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Damn thats some range, seen mine upto 500 miles but no more

Racing teatray is correct! The fwd models are 55 litres, not 62 as i thought... ive been thinking it was 62 litres for the last 2 years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yep, the range computer said 800 miles once, I worked hard to get it up to that after topping up. The next session of motorway soon put a hole in it. To be fair I was sailing down the alpine passes in Austria to get that. It does get to 600 miles regularly though. Diesel is definitely a potentially sporty option. As someone used to say on here, "Spread a little soot"

Rick

FWD A3's get the std 55 liter tank, and the Quattro's get the "Saddle" shaped tank which holds 62 liters. And naturally, we all know that while the tank may be RATED to hold a certain amount you can always squeeze a little more in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'd certainly have considered a TDI quattro. I'd definitely like to try one.

But if 1.8T quattros are rare (Audi have 5 on their used site at the mo), TDI quattros are even more so. I couldn't find them anywhere!

Plus I've had a 1.8T engine before and just think they're top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still don't trust that range indicator since I ran out with 15 miles to go and it left me stranded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Yep, the TDI Q are a bit rarer. I got mine through Audi and found it on t'internet. I wanted a certain spec and bided my time. Living in Edinburgh, this took me all the way to Grimsby to get it. Don't have any regrets at all. There was a guy on here who claimed all sorts of times for his chipped Tdi Q, I think he was from Durham way...

Had Audi built a quattro version of their 2.0 Tdi then I would have had that and chipped it. I bought my car at the time the new A3 was launched. The quattro was the clincher for me though. As for the extra consumption from the 4wd and weight, it's still averaging 42-44 mpg with a lot of blasts through te borders to work. I love it.

Rick

Mmmm. Paid £14k after the part-x on the old Vectra for a 3month old 5k mile car. I see it as a keeper tho and am encouraged by the folk with 100k + miles on their cars. I can't keep changing and financing the depreciation so I took the pain of the initial purchase.

I didn't like the Audi dealer attitude to haggling. Not even the mudflaps were free. Guess they know its a good product and that it will sell, so they dont discount.

Bite the bullet and dio it anyway. They are rare though, non listed on Audi approved used....nice to be a bit special...

Rick

I am looking to purchase my first Quattro - What sort of servicing costs are involved when you buy one of these speed sticks? When is the cambelt due for replacing.

Do you think that 6900 is too much to pay for a 1.8tQ with 55K on the clock which has just been serviced?

T 1999 - Red - Leather Upholstery - 16" alloys - air con

why are they more expensive to run? apart from the fact that the clutch is more likely to go sooner than the fwd..

[ QUOTE ]
Rickquattro said:
Or buy a Tdi 130 Q and chip it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that for real? 800 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Pontio said:
why are they more expensive to run? apart from the fact that the clutch is more likely to go sooner than the fwd..

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest difference is that the Quattro's require servicing of the Haldex unit. Not sure what the interval is for y'all, but mine is Haldex oil every 30k kms and the filter every 60k kms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yeah, and the clutch doesn't necessarily go any quicker than the FWD, after all, I've got over 110k miles on my original clutch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I heard somewhere that becuase the A3 is naturally FWD anyways that having AWD, most of the power will be at the front.

Tell ya what tho, I'll NEVER go back to FWD or RWD, lol!