AH FabricationsChris Nott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5th Gear

Status

Re: Quattro...... or not?!

Hi
    Read this article
    http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,3&Board=a3&Number=281 534&Searchpage=2&Main=278330&Words=tyr es&topic=&Search=true#Post281534

Pretty detailed on the haldex system. Its basically a thread on quattro v 1.8T

Cheers
    Ian
    (ps you will probably have to copy and paste the link as its pretty long.)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    Yaaay after 180 posts somebody has found one of my posts useful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Although it was only a link to another forum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    NY Resolution - must try harder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Great car - take it for a drive and feel the quality. It feels like a much bigger car on the motorway. Rock solid. And it pretty nippy too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Have fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

I'm still waiting after 1500+ posts for someone to say that I've been helpful! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rich.

5th Gear

Status

LOL @ DickyS3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    DickyS3 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    Yaaay after 180 posts somebody has found one of my posts useful [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Although it was only a link to another forum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    NY Resolution - must try harder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Great car - take it for a drive and feel the quality. It feels like a much bigger car on the motorway. Rock solid. And it pretty nippy too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Have fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting after 1500+ posts for someone to say that I've been helpful! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a really helpful post Rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    DickyS3 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    Have fun!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a really helpful post Rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rickquattro said:
    Or buy a Tdi 130 Q and chip it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that for real? 800 miles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go back a bit, just back off my holidays.the display was showing 800miles as I pulled on to the autobahn, just after filling up. Its for real, not photoshopped. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Quattro-tastic. Not half.

Status
    It's not real Quatrro on anything below an A4... and I'll keep saying that until the cows come home.
    Andy - A4

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    nice two year bump there andy!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

4th Gear

Status
    Would you just get the gate for the cows then Andy, they're ready for bed!!

I get tired of reading 'it's not proper quattro unless it's Torsen' style rubbish! The Haldex system has been used on everything up to 600bhp+ rally-cross cars. It's a flexible and low-cost solution to what most road cars need, ie not full time 4WD, but one that adapts to given situations and can save fuel when it's not needed.

It's DIFFERENT, yes, but the haldex system is still four wheel drive, it works, and quattro is just the brandname amyway.

If Audi call it a quattro, then it is, surely?!
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

Quattro-tastic. Not half.

Status
    Call it Quattro if you like, but you can't polish a turd.

The Quattro system has a Torsen dif and splits the drive 50/50 during normal driving conditions, the RS models are 40/60.

Haldex driven systems are good, but they're not at the same level as fully fledged Quattro.
    Andy - A4

6th Gear

Status
    FWD can be made to easily outhandle the quattro models but will never have the off the line traction of 4wd.
    My mk4 golf hase the basic same spec as my s3 for uprated suspension componenets and will run rings around the s3. The s3 has off the line traction and wet traction, but it understeers more in the dry and the wet and you just cannot pointit where you want it like the mk4 .. Its down to weight and the rear suspension difference i think. The "live" rear beam in the golf, (and fwd a3) whilst rater crude in design, really really works once you stick a huge rear arb on and some stiffer dampers.
    The s3 handles far better with similar set up as stock, but it just too heavy by comparison to be as sprightly. Front grip on my mk4 under all circumstances is soo much better, its hard to see why. I can only assume weight is the issue..?

BUT having said all that, the 4wd version as stock will handle better, just because the power is shared between two axles and hence in the wet especially it wont understeer as much.

So I reckon if you want to have a fun great handling car, go for the 18ts and get a nice non coilover suspension kit and big hoofin rear arb!
    If you want a stock car, the quattro will be better but as you mention potentially more pricey to run and less rewarding if you do tweak the chassis.

Taking it easy..

Status
    Go Quattro, just do it!

You will love the grip you get from the quattro, drive hard whether is wet or dry! And you know if you chip a 130 Tdi Q, you will have a S3 beater! ( i believe this has come up before! lol )

Opps didn't see the 2nd page!
    J

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    The quattro is a completely different car to the 1.8TS.
    You really have to drive them both to appreciate the different handling & feel. The 1.8TS is much livelier and more skittish and actually feels faster. The 1.8TQ feels more solid and heavier, even though it's faster in the wet, there's not much in it in the dry, the extra 30bhp being sapped by the additional weight. You have to push the quattro much harder to get it out of shape.
    Forget Bose, it's crap, cd changer can be picked up on ebay for 100, and heated side windows? hardly a reason not to buy a car. The quattro does seem to suffer on the mpg (about 25) where you can get a decent 30mpg from the 1.8TS.
    But definately drive both as they are radically different.
    dont really agree with much of that to be honest

bose sound system is great, dont know what problems youve had with it but mine sounds really clear and powerful

quattro mpg is above 30 on a good day. for the first few months i didnt realise this cos i was driving rather excessively everywhere, but i did a round trip of 350 miles to manchester last week and got an average of over 30 mpg

i agree with the rest though

i wouldn't change the 4wd for anything, best feeling ever pulling off the line with 4 wheels and not 2, iv driven both and wouldnt change for love nor money

Toyota Celica GT4 ST205 - 295.7bhp / 260.7lbft

4th Gear

Status
    quattro all the way!! own a nice and rare car, not a common old fwd 1.8t LOL

it being rarer will take you a while to find one through the audi network though, took me two months finding a good one!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Andy
    The Quattro system has a Torsen dif and splits the drive 50/50 during normal driving conditions, the RS models are 40/60.

Haldex driven systems are good, but they're not at the same level as fully fledged Quattro.
    And that's a good thing because?....

The A4 quattros nemesis all through it's life up until the new RS4 was of course the 3 series BMW, and that was generally accepted as a better handling car than anything Audi had made since the Urquattro. So, its 'proper' 4WD system wasn't much of a help there was it...

The point is, you're not comparing apples with apples here. The A4 and A3/S3 have very different packaging requirements, and as good as the Torsen system is (and I'm not saying it's rubbish at all, or a turd...), it just wouldn't be practical on a car the size of the A3/Golf.

For most people in most situations and with all the compromises that a road car has to fit within, then the haldex system that isn't sensitive to different tyre wear/tyre sizes, practically disengages when not needed to save fuel and wear and tear on the transmission, but that activates when required seems like a good solution to me, if not you!

Both systems do a job, but overall I think it's good we have a choice. My Dad used to be a quattro Torsen snob too, but when we both left a snowy Keldy Forest after a family holiday a couple of months back, and I went everywhere he went in his A4 Avant quattro, he had to admit all his jokes along the lines of 'you'll be needing a tow then son' fell a bit flat.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12