Chris NottBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help needed with stereo system

I've got a pre-facelift a3 that has a concert I r/cassette, I want to be able to play CDs but am just wondering what options are?

I've checked the boot and can't see the plug where the cd changer would connect so unsure if my car has the availability to add a cd changer(the sub is just plain black plastic, so I think this means its a non-bose system?). If I can't add a cd changer then I'd be looking at finding a concert II stereo or looking for a aftermarket HU.

My only concern with getting an aftermarket HU is that it might look naff, guidance/advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Cd changer is the easiest and neatest solution. Even if you don't have the cable installed, you just need to buy one, all Audi HU's have a changer capability, just some weren't pre-wired for it. The cable is quite a way back in the cubbyhole towards the front of the car past the rear seatbelt reel (the thing covered in grey foam). Shown below with trim removed, you will only just be able to get one hand on it:

The Bose sub has two 4" drivers, non Bose has a single 6.5" driver, they are both just plain black plastic but the non Bose one has a metal front.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    Wow! that was really informative, thank you and the pic really helped. I've been researching into it and didn't realise it was that tucked away!

I've made my decision now to go ahead and buy a cd changer.

5th Gear

Status
    The other alternative is to get an xcarlink unit, which pretends to be a CD changer, but plays mp3s from an SD card or USB stick, or an iPod.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/ or they pop up on eBay every now and then. Mine works great, living in the glove box, and I also have the optional bluetooth adaptor for my iPhone.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Haven't bought the cd changer yet as now considering the xcarlink maybe a better option, are they hard to fit?

I'm thinking it might be easier if I just buy an aftermarket headunit as I would like to play CDs from time to time aswell, what are peoples opinion on aftermarket HUs in A3's anybody seen ones that look good fitted?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie0125 View Post
    Haven't bought the cd changer yet as now considering the xcarlink maybe a better option, are they hard to fit?

I'm thinking it might be easier if I just buy an aftermarket headunit as I would like to play CDs from time to time aswell, what are peoples opinion on aftermarket HUs in A3's anybody seen ones that look good fitted?

I have 2 Audi/VW CD-Changers sat doing nothing, PM me if interested. Personally I'd stick with the stadard headunit as an aftermarket one wont work with the DIS. If not keen on a CD-Changer get a Phatnoise, they are amasing bits of kit and sooooooooooo easy to use through the standard headunit.

Nige
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project