Oil usage.

cawsey20

Reaction score
Hi there , my s3 has done 112k , I'm trying to keep on top of my oil . Last Monday I checked it and it was rather low so I topped it up to just below the raised section on the dipstick , today I have just looked and it has gone down to about half the scale :s . Is this normal on this milage ? . There doesn't seem to be any puddles so it must be using it .

I've done around 350 miles since the top up , some of that wad with a heavy right foot but mostly round town driving .

Could be a few things.

Have you checked the expansion tank to see if oil is in there? Also take one of the upper boost hoses off and see if there covered in oil, it's normal for them to have a thin film over them due to the PCV system, you dont want them soaked though.

As much as i don't like to make assumtions, last time i had that it was my turbo feeding oil directly into the exhaust. She didn't seem to smoke at all, but used a litre or so per 1k miles.

Once i changed the turbo,all was fine

There are so mnay ways for oil to go down, leaks, blocked breather raising the crankcase pressure, rings gone, valve stem seals gone, strainer blockage casusing excess turbo shaft wear causing excess comsumtion..... on and on

As odd as it sounds I had a massive crack in the pcv pipe that always splits had a fat off crack in it and was covered in oil , I've replaced that hose as of sat , do you recon this could have any play in the matter ?

As odd as it sounds I had a massive crack in the pcv pipe that always splits had a fat off crack in it and was covered in oil , I've replaced that hose as of sat , do you recon this could have any play in the matter ?

Not to lose as much oil as your saying. Have you checked your exhaust like mark said to see it its caked up?

I have just looked yes it's black and sooty but aren't all cars normally ? .

My mate was following me also and as I put my foot down to overtake a lorry aparently he could smell an Eggy smell ? Could this be joined in any way? .

The eggy smell would be the cat getting very hot... either from heavy foot work or because its covered in oil and having a problem doing its job,
Its a pain to work out where its going to be honest... My car started to use oil and then started to smoke when nailed. The general view was "its the mileage mate" I decided then to build a forged and solid new engine... new turbo the lot.
After all this was done i took the head of the old engine... a stem seal had split and come off. So i spent £3500 and it was a rubber seal costing 80p from audi.

The BEST way to tell if its the turbo or not is to undo the turbo to downpipe nuts. move it over slightly amd have a look/ feel inside. it should be slightly sooty but wet (oily) means its time for a new blower... hybrid maybe??

Back to this subject , went to gti int yesterday , did a few runs and she is pulling fine surely if turbo was dying I'd notice it ? Also didn't see any smoke all day . I did about 500 miles all in and have used about 1 cm or so , is this majorly excessive still

1cm on the dipstick??!
If thats the case YES that is alot if it isnt making a nasty brown mark on the drive way.

Sorry I lied it has used half a cm just under I just measured it , so 500 miles half a cm . Still excessive for 113k ?

Yeah I was at Inters, which colour car as saw a fair few derv's with black smoke bellowing out.

I mean if you're hammering it everywhere & you have worn parts then it would be a fair assumption it will use more than norm.

But, you do need to get to the bottom of the excess use or the problem could lead to much bigger issues & alot more money.

Ok mate , I'm not using the loud peddle all the time most of the time I'm just poodling to work reserving fuel . That's my fear that it will turn into an issue I'm going to have a ganders underneith now so ..