Weights

JamesA3

Reaction score
Does anynody know how heavy these cars are?

A3 1.8T
A3 1.8T quattro
S3

A3 1.8T - ~1200 kg dpending on options
A3 1.8T Quattro - Check your data sticker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
S3 - ~1400kg (again depending on options)

Rich

so that means your car is producing 264bhp/ton
wow.gif

James,

My 1.8TQ on a Y is 1432 Kg (options are leather and CD...ie not alot!)

yours has got to be the quicker than any A3/S3 on here!!

After checking the sticker mine weighs 1355kg plus the 4WD saps even more power, really wish I had gone for the 2WD now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
yours has got to be the quicker than any A3/S3 on here!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, but 4wd does certainly have its uses! With my power in a Quattro, you would still have a very quick car! and the avantage is not having to worry about traction. The 4wd in yours is the same as having a 18ish stone passenger all the time. Now even with 4 people in my car, it still chucks you back... Just that when there is nobody in the car other than me, its noticeably quicker!

Rich

Another thing is in winter... Even with traction control, you guys will be climinbing hills and i will be stuck at the bottom! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

My S3 is one heavy beast at 1482kgs

options are:
full leather + heated
arm rest
parking sensors
chrome mirrors (are these actually heavier???)
6CD boot changer
sunroof
18" RS TTs

Mark

I managed to find an old technical specs document from the Audi AG site (isn't Google's Cache a wonderful thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) Great document, has all the gear ratios etc in it... If you're into that sort of thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It lists the German market specifications from June 2000, with the unladen weights as follows:

A3 1.8T (132kW) 5 speed - 1180kg
A3 1.8T quattro 6 speed - 1305kg

What's interesting is that it lists the 132kW (i.e. 180bhp?) version of the FWD A3... Was that ever sold in the UK?

The weights sound a bit light to me, but maybe the German weight specs are pared down to the bone (no fuel, no driver etc)

I'm happy sacrificing 125kg for 4WD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They are BARE weights... I dont think my A3 has any optional extras!? What were the options on pre-facelift?

Rich

but do you fin 4wd a great benefit?

Once your moving getting tractions not really much of an issue is it

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
but do you fin 4wd a great benefit?

Once your moving getting tractions not really much of an issue is it

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Wet cornering is the only other time really.

Rich

Quite supprising weight for your car, mine A4 is only 1441 kg's so actually lighter than yours (noting thats my standard weight and its prob 20 kgs heavier now). Considering the A4 is a longer 4 door car with a heavier 4WD system I wouldnt have thought the S3 would be anywhere near the same weight never mind heavier.

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
so that means your car is producing 264bhp/ton
wow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh... my... god...

thats some tasty power/weight combo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif