Bad times S3 Overheating

gonzorock

Reaction score
Was driving in this great sunshine last week and all of a sudden the temp gauge maxed out red warning sign on dash. Have done a bit of researtch and been told it's the water pump so am looking to get a metal one has apparently there better than the stock Audi plastic one. Where online is the best place to buy one? also which make is the most reliable?

Thanks!

you may as well get the cam belt done as well £350 all in @ Jabba (pump, belt & tensioners)

I have the same problem & tallied up all the parts from here at £150, that was pump, cambelt kit & aux belt.

Yep cambelt time !, Had this on my last car it wen't at 40k!!. But there is no point in changing one without the other.

Cheers for the info!! just got her booked in at euro performance Ltd in South Wales £275 all in. Has anyone used them before?

ideally you want them to make sure the guide rollers are changed to as when they die they sound horrible

What comes in a usual Cambelt kit? Do you normally have to ask the the guide rollers to be changed seperately or is that part of the kit? If not I'll try and get them added to the job.

some kits include them, some dont.

when i had the S4 i called audi (out of curiosity) to see what the price was and what they actually carried out. they quoted me £xxx but that literally covered labour and the belt. you had to specify the other bits you wished to change

not all places will change the tensioner or the other rollers that guide the belt, so you have to ask whether all those parts are included. when a guide/roller/idler (so many names for the same thing) goes thats when you hear cars that make whirring sounds on idle etc

This can be a minefield as Matt has mentioned. Always make sure they include everything in the price quoted, including the metal impellor version of the water pump.

and for the sake of £10 id get a new aux belt on there. on the a3 engine it looks well grotty when you look under there and the aux belt is all perished etc

and whilst youre there you might as well change the aux belt tensioner roller

ad infinitum!!

thats how/why i spend so much on car stuff because i have the "whilst im there" attitude and do everything.

i know, its so bad!

remember "only fools and horses" and triggers broom? haha thats my old golf, but then it hasnt made it to 225k miles by neglecting it ;)

yep, i remember that 1

I've had this broom since i started, done me proud, 10 new handles and 5 new heads...... or something like that