V Power - Tesco 99. My 2 cents.

What fuel are you using by choice?

• Total voters
One thing to remember is during transport and storage petrol can actually drop it's octane. therefore if tesco is not selling as well V-power then it is likely that it will get worst since the V-power is fresh and therefore less octane is lost due to long storage.

interesting read, so far, but are you sure it's not the case of the placebo effect on the cars? (seems silly i know) The car feeling like it runs better because you've put better fuel in? just my 2 pence worth.

filled up with my 3rd tank of Vpower and I think its working. If the person before me used the standard stuff it gave a est mileage of around 600mi with a full tank. (with all averages reset!)

now with me its giving a est of 787mi per tank.. after 2 full tanks.

could just be different driving styles (2 previous owners were female!) and roads.. but saying that I'm mostly on single carriage As half the time and windy B roads.. therefore i should have less of a mileage..

could be doing something!

thing to do now is to fill up one more time on Vpower and go back to standard and see what the difference is...

You think we get it bad?!! try going to Canada as there best is octane and the cheap stuff is 87 :slapped: add that with high altitude of the rockys and you get one limp risted car!

DSC_0392.jpg

different rating of octane in different part of the world

different rating of octane in different part of the world
Exactly.

From Wikipedia:
Generally, octane ratings are higher in Europe than they are in North America and most other parts of the world. This is especially true when comparing the lowest available octane level in each country. In many parts of Europe, 95 RON (90-91 AKI) is the minimum available standard, with 97/98 RON being higher specification (being called Super Unleaded). The higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in Canada and the US, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US AKI=(R+M)/2, and deliver 98, 99 or 100 (RON) (93-94 AKI) labeled as Super Unleaded - thus regular petrol sold in much of Europe corresponds to premium sold in the United States.

I dont live there,it was my first trip to the that side of the pond,had no idea it was marked up like that,thought it was crap fuel,saying that it did not smell like fuel in the uk at all?? learn something new everyday!

Just a little update on this guys.

I ran some logs a while pack on ignition timing when I was running my car on BP Ultimate which is either 97 or 98 Ron fuel and I was getting timing pulled by 5.3 on full chat. (I believe that anything higher than this and its time to worry!). Anyway, I went to the Nurburgring this weekend and they have some lovely 102 Ron fuel by the track so I filled up and plugged in my laptop for a lap. I reset the fuel info so that the ECU would adapt to the new fuel imediately and the most my ECU pulled timing by was 3. Lovely stuff.

I'll try this with 99 Ron fuel when I get a chance as thats the highest octane rating we can get here but I wish we could get 102.

Just a little update on this guys.

I ran some logs a while pack on ignition timing when I was running my car on BP Ultimate which is either 97 or 98 Ron fuel and I was getting timing pulled by 5.3 on full chat. (I believe that anything higher than this and its time to worry!). Anyway, I went to the Nurburgring this weekend and they have some lovely 102 Ron fuel by the track so I filled up and plugged in my laptop for a lap. I reset the fuel info so that the ECU would adapt to the new fuel imediately and the most my ECU pulled timing by was 3. Lovely stuff.

I'll try this with 99 Ron fuel when I get a chance as thats the highest octane rating we can get here but I wish we could get 102.

Even 1 octane point should drop your timing pull down.

ive used vpower for the past 2 months now have havent noticed any reall difference in mpg or performance. maybe a small placebo in performance but thats it.

OK, I've tried V-power now in my S3 & I certainly noticed the difference well worth the extra over 95 or even 97, car was quicker & more responsive. Also tried £40 of Tesco stuff, not alot different to the V power tbh so I'd use either from now on.

I changed from v-power to tesco 99 and had the opposite effect Welly but that was before 'momentum' so may have to go back

Finished the second tank of V-Power last week. No noticeable difference in performance or fuel consumption compared to BP Ultimate.

my tesco only says momentum on it not 99 too, never mind im back to traveling to shell and belive its worth it as im running the car on the limit with my stage2 so every little helps whrn on full chat...

since this thread i have been back and had a closer look and it is momentum99 we have at my local tesco so im on a tank of it at the moment, no real difference at the moment, but i shall do another momentum fill up before going back to shell to compare

I've used Tesco 99 afew time lately, didn't know where the local shell was etc when on holiday or tank runs dry when i'm next to tesco and i have to say i think it has the same performance as Shell but seems to go alittle further on it, the range once it gets to 50m stays there for a lifetime whereas with the v-power you'd see that for a second and suddenly you'd be on 0.

Although i'm sure its all far to similar.

Will be giving the car a major service and more in the next weeks so might give it a proper test then, plus will be changing the fuel filter, hoping to see a difference like 'welly said,

Best put my ten pence worth in!! I used to do the Tesco's 99 all the time - then I heard about the nasty chemicals used in it to get the 99ron - I now use V-Power and no word of a lie, I can tell you it gives me at least a 0.2 quicker 0-60 run every time! I use a onboard VI Monitor so I run my 0-60's in all types of conditions (basically on the country lanes near me when the horse riders are not out cr*pping all over the road) and the V-Power consistantly gives me the best runs. I won't touch anything else now.

Best put my ten pence worth in!! I used to do the Tesco's 99 all the time - then I heard about the nasty chemicals used in it to get the 99ron - I now use V-Power and no word of a lie, I can tell you it gives me at least a 0.2 quicker 0-60 run every time! I use a onboard VI Monitor so I run my 0-60's in all types of conditions (basically on the country lanes near me when the horse riders are not out cr*pping all over the road) and the V-Power consistantly gives me the best runs. I won't touch anything else now.

What crap they put in? Where are your finding from about the tesco fuel?

I've used it and seem quite happy with it but I'm open to trying VPower again lol

I put £70 worth of v-power in the car and did 387 miles before it was empty :D There were pretty much all m'way miles aswell.

I need to change the stat as the car just isn't getting up to temperture.

£70 returned 400 miles of motorways for me.

That would have cost me arond £180...

no way, you make me feel good about my mpg now, I must say it drinks like hell on short trips or if floored, but at steady speed of 50-75mph it consumes very little.

i use sainsbureys but not the normal stuff its some other stuff dont kno what called tho lol myt have to try v power

99 tesco seems good so far, even currently cheaper than 95 from shell

I was using that in my 8L S3, just had some dodgy reviews and people commenting about additives they used to get it upto 99. Now I'm undecided on what to use.

Shell Vpower seems to be the best review and rated and the best option.

tesco is associated with being cheap, tesco does not produce its fuel. buying Kellogg's from tesco does not mean it is poo

tesco is associated with being cheap, tesco does not produce its fuel. buying Kellogg's from tesco does not mean it is poo

Yer I agree, I never really believed the whole "supermarket fuel is crap" row as it all comes out of the same ground lol and they all share refineries. Just want the best fuel for my car, however it really should not involve this much thinking and research haha

Just had a read through this thread, some interesting opinions. My personal opinion is VPower is better, all the cars I have had in the past and present run better with sharper throttle response when I fill with Vpower.

However my problem is about a year ago my local Shell station (about 2 miles from my house) decided to stick a TEXACO logo on it's forecourt and since then have used this donkey p*ss fuel as my nearest shell is over 15 miles away. My nearest BP is about 8 miles, so all in all it's about how far I am prepared to travel. My other alternative is Sainsburys Super Unleaded, does anyone have any experience of this? But I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I filled with Supermarket fuel!

Just had a read through this thread, some interesting opinions. My personal opinion is VPower is better, all the cars I have had in the past and present run better with sharper throttle response when I fill with Vpower.

However my problem is about a year ago my local Shell station (about 2 miles from my house) decided to stick a TEXACO logo on it's forecourt and since then have used this donkey p*ss fuel as my nearest shell is over 15 miles away. My nearest BP is about 8 miles, so all in all it's about how far I am prepared to travel. My other alternative is Sainsburys Super Unleaded, does anyone have any experience of this? But I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I filled with Supermarket fuel!

I believe Sainsburys is 97 RON? Not sure though...

I believe Sainsburys is 97 RON? Not sure though...

It says Super Unleaded 97 Ron on the taps when I go to fill up the Van (I put diesel in that before I get any remarks lol)

I was lead to believe the Sainsburys 97 Super Unleaded was in fact BP Ultimate, maybe someone could shed some light on that?

My other alternative is putting 119 Octane Sunoco race fuel what we have here at my work lol