Hello im new here got a couple of questions:)

shanefce

Reaction score
Hi im shane basically i have brought my self a 1999 a3 1.8T full service history etc etc... but ive got a few questions.

1. the car when im at a stand still keeps judering like drops below 1000rpm then back up if youget me? its hard explain... any idea what the causes could be?

2. My drivers side window sqeeks like hell when going up and down ive tryed a bit well a lot of wd40 on the runners and its made no difference at all..?

Thanks alot:):sob:

hi and welcome to the forum...congrats o the new purchase ;)

no idea about the runners... the juddering id say is a boost leak (check around the engine for broken/split pipes), although there could be a few things which could be told via vagcom

first thing id do is get on ebay and buy an OBD2 lead and get the free software for ya laptop :)

ive got a OBD lead:) where can i get vagcom from and what does it do? lol sorry newbie questions

You can get VAGCOM off the ross tech website, if you do a quick google search on VAGCOM and Ross Tech, theres LOADS of info, also there is a sub section on here for VCDS, so have a gander, im sure you will get the info you need from there...

Oh and welcome to the site.

2. My drivers side window sqeeks like hell when going up and down ive tryed a bit well a lot of wd40 on the runners and its made no difference at all..?
:
Don't bother putting WD40 on there as it isnt proper a lubricant - what you want is some Silicone spray.
Also, when I first got my a3 it had a slightly squeaky window, the way i solved it was two prong
1-Basically took the door card off (takes 2 mins), the window was *really* dirty at the bottom 2 or 3 inches (you obviously cant see this with the door card on)
2-It turned out the felt (or whatever material it is) guides that run round the entire frame of the window were full of dust and crap. This, along with everything else got a good spray of '3 in 1 silicone spray', and now it works a treat (touch wood).

I would agree with others on point #1 - vac leak, although it could be worth unplugging the MAF to see if that's faulty?

Good luck from a fellow '99 1.8t a3 owner :yum:

Last edited:
After inspection of my pipes i can not seem to find any broken pipes:( i also unplugg my MAF and it did the same still :( any more ideas

what is an MAF? i have a similar problem m8 im trying to get to the bottom of it but im useless

mass air flow sensor its located on airfiler pipe if im not mistaken?

join the club mate im useless lol

lol at least u know the simple maf is some of the shortened names for things on these site baffle me

try checking the pipes beneath the inlet manifold (the big silver thing bolted to the front of the engine) as theres loads under there that could cause a boost leak..... i still dont know everypipe in my engine and paid JBS labour to check mine out....they pointed out the one they found and i repaired...

you really could do with plugging it into vagcom to check for fault codes though ;)

What about the throttle Body? I'd check that its not covered in oil and crap, Then give it a good clean. My brothers golf had the same sort of symptoms and that sorted it out?

cheers lads u know the score im going to try my maf then if all else fails after checking pipes clean the TB that was a really good page to help with it thanks alot

Done that:) any one got the drivers for OBD2 lead? so i can use VAGcom

hmmm, it should just be plug n play...mine was

have you downloaded VCDS Lite version of vagcom?

no :( it came on a disk... could you send me link please mate:)