Burning oil smell

Jay

Reaction score
Alright chaps,

I've recently been getting a strong smell of burning oil from the drivers side of the engine after a drive which seems to get stronger as the outside temp gets warmer..... mate thinks the turbo's going.
Its done 104K miles now and over the last month I must have topped up about a litre of oil to about 500 miles. There's some spots of oil on the driveway and can see some oil underneath the car but have no idea where its coming from.

Any ideas?

thanks

When the engine is cold ( or you will burn your fingers ) check all around the rocker cover for a leak. Especialy around the back as any oil leaking would land on the exhaust manifold or turbo. making the smell and the oily marks on the drive way.

I replaced the rocker cover gasket about 6 months ago but i'll have a look anyways

Mines only been on around 6 months but its leaking...
Other thing to look at could be the oil feed/return to the turbo... maybe its weeping a little??

check how far up the block the leak starts

the gasket was probably fitted without using liquid gasket in the right places

Mine looks like it's leaking from round the back of the rocker, is this an easy fix, I'm pretty competent with spanners, I owned a 220 bhp GT Turbo :moa:

It is quite easy . time consuming rather than difficult .
Removal of the uper boost pipe. coil packs and all the brackets...
The half moon seals that come with the rocker cover can be a pain to get to seal , I think some people use a small amount of silicone sealer on it.

some people = VAG before they let the car leave the factory

its a straight forward enough job tbh. in most cases the most difficult part is getting the timing belt cover off

It is quite easy . time consuming rather than difficult .
Removal of the uper boost pipe. coil packs and all the brackets...
The half moon seals that come with the rocker cover can be a pain to get to seal , I think some people use a small amount of silicone sealer on it.