Stage 1 remap only 150kw at the wheel??

2002 s3

Reaction score
Hi guys am new to the site and am hoping someone can help me. Ive had a stage 1 map done on my 2002 s3 and have run it up on the highest output was 150kw at the wheels. Standard i thought these cars made around that or 225 bhp.
Is it possible for the map to have gone that bad??

150kw at the wheels translates to 201bhp... the '225bhp' is a flywheel figure so factoring in transmission losses as Bill has mentioned would seem to give you the 250/260bhp flywheel figure of a stage 1 map...

<tuffty/>

No trans loses done and was run in 4wd. So 150kw at the wheels equates to 250 at the flywheel? which is a stage one map.
Has anyone run theres on the dyno for a stage 1 map or pre map to see how the figures match mine?
The car definitely does feel faster even on first map but when we dynoed then it only came up with 130kw. My mechanic said fuel mixtures where running dangerously lean so we had the guy write another map this time ran up at 150kw.
The person flashing the map gets pre written programs done in the uk sent over and just flashes the drive. This must be pretty fool proof as standard s3 is a standard s3 is it not ? Or should they all be specific to the car

if mainly std parts on it still then yes a generic flash *should* be ok... however, th efact it was lean first time round either indicates there is in fact a car issue, or software was wrong first time.. If car issue, mapping round it is not the thing to do - problem is you wont know if its car or code causing issue now I suspect

will scan the dyno sheet its still running quite lean. any suggestions to what the prob could be with the car?

Not without looking at some logs... could be the map fuelling request, lambda, fuel pressure reg etc... would need to scan for faults then do some logging and work back from there...

<tuffty/>

Just took for drive after new map boost was holding back like cylinder was missing went to check coils and plugs at the same time. The plugs are all frosted over from detonation there was nothing previously wrong with this car and plugs were changed only 20,000ks ago. Does this sound like a bad map.??

Was the car running ok prior to the map? was it lean before? again, without seeing some logs done with VAGCOM (VCDS) then I cannot tell you... if the map is requesting the right fuelling but you still have the issue it would suggest a mechanical problem....

Modern ECU's are pretty informative, VAGCOM logging is the only way you are going to get anywhere at this stage... the logs will provide the information needed to start diagnosing your issue..

Your tuner must have a copy, nobody in their right mind puts a map onto a car without checking it first....

<tuffty/>

Will see if i can get off the tuner like you say made to do it without checking.