JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Cylinder Head Master

Status

D2S HID Bulbs, what do you have?

4300k, 6000k, 8000k, 10000k or 120000k

I know standards are 4300 but whats to bright and whats just right in your view?
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Ive got some 6000k's to fit when i get round to it, just cant be arsed with removing the F'ing front bumper and lights to fit them.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

6th Gear

Status
    I've got Philips 4300k D2S, they cost a bomb though, personally i'd get 5000k if i was after a set
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just replaced my yesterday, with 6000k one. In my opinion best, have had them before on a4 and s3 and I find them better than the standard one. 6000k light is slightly blue but only a bit and brighter than 4300. If I recall correctly daylight is about 5500, so 6000 is most close to that. But of course some might think different.
    And by the way I did not need to take off bumper. It is tight, but i managed to replace them in about 15 minutes.
    Hope that helps.

1st Gear

Status
    According to some research on the internet 4300 is the best to get (standard) it has the most lumens out of all the difference temperature ranges, suppose its upto you, rather have fashion over function...? More blue etc.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by krisS3 View Post
    Just replaced my yesterday, with 6000k one. In my opinion best, have had them before on a4 and s3 and I find them better than the standard one. 6000k light is slightly blue but only a bit and brighter than 4300. If I recall correctly daylight is about 5500, so 6000 is most close to that. But of course some might think different.
    And by the way I did not need to take off bumper. It is tight, but i managed to replace them in about 15 minutes.
    Hope that helps.
    You got the 1 piece or 2 piece headlights?

***** rent boy

Status
    5000k is the way to go. Any higher and you're sacrificing functionality for looks.

4200k provides the most lumens (usable light) i.e light that hits the road, and this is why all manufacturers use these as standard.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    5000k is the way to go. Any higher and you're sacrificing functionality for looks.

4200k provides the most lumens (usable light) i.e light that hits the road, and this is why all manufacturers use these as standard.
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Why is it then that some of the new cars that have Xenon as standard, look super blue, my uncle had a merc and his xenons were really blue, yet super bright at the same time and they were genuine out of the showroom fitment to the car??

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    Why is it then that some of the new cars that have Xenon as standard, look super blue, my uncle had a merc and his xenons were really blue, yet super bright at the same time and they were genuine out of the showroom fitment to the car??
    The look of the light changes depending on the distance you are away ffrom it, also it depends on the type of projectors used, it varies from manufacturer.

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    The look of the light changes depending on the distance you are away ffrom it, also it depends on the type of projectors used, it varies from manufacturer.
    Pretty much; it's actually to do with the quality of the projectors in the headlamp.

The S3 8L ones are ****e. The R8 and RS4 both have 4300k fitted and both look more "crisp" than my S3's.

If you go for a higher Kelvin, you are sacrificing the amount of useable light they put out, as Golf pointed out. 5000k is what most people go for as an inbetween.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    OEM standard bulbs all the way for me, they are good enough when compared with most cars

nothing worse than seeing over 5k in my opinion, they all look like they are not supposed to have xenons which then makes your car look like a fake/replica
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold