JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Andrew@A.L.D's Avatar
    Cylinder Head Master

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    3,470

    D2S HID Bulbs, what do you have?

    4300k, 6000k, 8000k, 10000k or 120000k

    I know standards are 4300 but whats to bright and whats just right in your view?
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

    FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,233
    Ive got some 6000k's to fit when i get round to it, just cant be arsed with removing the F'ing front bumper and lights to fit them.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  4. #3
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    I've got Philips 4300k D2S, they cost a bomb though, personally i'd get 5000k if i was after a set
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    13
    Just replaced my yesterday, with 6000k one. In my opinion best, have had them before on a4 and s3 and I find them better than the standard one. 6000k light is slightly blue but only a bit and brighter than 4300. If I recall correctly daylight is about 5500, so 6000 is most close to that. But of course some might think different.
    And by the way I did not need to take off bumper. It is tight, but i managed to replace them in about 15 minutes.
    Hope that helps.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    139
    According to some research on the internet 4300 is the best to get (standard) it has the most lumens out of all the difference temperature ranges, suppose its upto you, rather have fashion over function...? More blue etc.


  7. #6
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,233
    Quote Originally Posted by krisS3 View Post
    Just replaced my yesterday, with 6000k one. In my opinion best, have had them before on a4 and s3 and I find them better than the standard one. 6000k light is slightly blue but only a bit and brighter than 4300. If I recall correctly daylight is about 5500, so 6000 is most close to that. But of course some might think different.
    And by the way I did not need to take off bumper. It is tight, but i managed to replace them in about 15 minutes.
    Hope that helps.
    You got the 1 piece or 2 piece headlights?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  8. #7
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    5000k is the way to go. Any higher and you're sacrificing functionality for looks.

    4200k provides the most lumens (usable light) i.e light that hits the road, and this is why all manufacturers use these as standard.

  9. #8
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    5000k is the way to go. Any higher and you're sacrificing functionality for looks.

    4200k provides the most lumens (usable light) i.e light that hits the road, and this is why all manufacturers use these as standard.
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  10. #9
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,090
    Why is it then that some of the new cars that have Xenon as standard, look super blue, my uncle had a merc and his xenons were really blue, yet super bright at the same time and they were genuine out of the showroom fitment to the car??

  11. #10
    Dani_B19's Avatar
    Audi-sports own special child.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    7,233
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    Why is it then that some of the new cars that have Xenon as standard, look super blue, my uncle had a merc and his xenons were really blue, yet super bright at the same time and they were genuine out of the showroom fitment to the car??
    The look of the light changes depending on the distance you are away ffrom it, also it depends on the type of projectors used, it varies from manufacturer.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

  12. #11
    JD09's Avatar
    I'm not modding, I'm improving

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheshire, Alderley Edge
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    The look of the light changes depending on the distance you are away ffrom it, also it depends on the type of projectors used, it varies from manufacturer.
    Pretty much; it's actually to do with the quality of the projectors in the headlamp.

    The S3 8L ones are ****e. The R8 and RS4 both have 4300k fitted and both look more "crisp" than my S3's.

    If you go for a higher Kelvin, you are sacrificing the amount of useable light they put out, as Golf pointed out. 5000k is what most people go for as an inbetween.

  13. #12
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,990
    OEM standard bulbs all the way for me, they are good enough when compared with most cars

    nothing worse than seeing over 5k in my opinion, they all look like they are not supposed to have xenons which then makes your car look like a fake/replica
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO