overheatin

crazyryan1234

Reaction score
my 1998 a3 keep overheating and dumping the water/coolant out of the radiator valve at the bottom left can any one tell me how to fix this problem pls

strange? so every time the engine gets hot and the thermostat diverts the coolant to the radiator you loose it all over the floor?

i would guess that the valve either isnt done up properly or broken? but im only stabbing in the dark

Hmmmm, sounds like a water pump issue to me.....

Water not being pumped around the engine, gets to hot, boils, pressure increases in the entire system, and comes out of the emergency pressure release.

When was the cam belt done? It must be an AGU engine as it;s an early motor - done reasonable miles I'd imagine, most likely 100,000 plus, meaning belt change at a likely 60,000. Water pumps on the 1.8T notoriously flaky...

Did you have water temp issue leading up to this and it's got worse over a period of time?

What temp does the water get up to on the dash (since you say it's overheating)?

The radiator valve, if broken would just leak the water out all the time IIRC, it's a most useful tool for draining coolant from the engine!

let it cool down

take the cap off the expansion tank

start the engine and rev it, from idle to 2-2.5krpm, and see if water is being returned to the expansion tank via the return hose.

that will give you an idea about what your water pump is doing

could this problem just be the thermostat not opening, causing it to overheat then? seems the simplest answer to me.

its a lot more effort getting the stat out than it is to test if the water pump is working. less effort more outcome!

furry ****. Was referring to blaming the water pump straight away though. Get the test done matey

Pretty common for overheating issues though on the 1.8t as we all know. However the thermos are equally useless, but it's very unusual for them to fail in that way, normally they open too soon, as opposed to sticking shut. However, it is a possibility!

Also, to be fair, a Thermostat is only made of wax which melts when it gets hot.... It doesn't take a lot to force one open, especially once the temp climbs up.

As said, see what the water system return to the header tank is doing, and go from there.

Waterpumps gone, cars heated up,leaked from the weakest spot on the radiator. Needs a new radiator, new thermostat, new waterpump and whilst your there you might aswell do the timing belt and tensioners:) Your car is now happy

Agree with sandip and welly. Sounds like water pump as exact same thing happened to me whilst driving my dads cupra the other week.