newbie looking for a s3 with a few questions

BenDit

Reaction score
hi im Ben im new, after selling my fiesta rs turbo :p last night im now looking at s3's i went in one as a passenger in 2002 when it was new i loved it
just wanna know how they have aged are they problamatic ?
what sort of mileage will a they start comming unstuck?
is the quattro system worth it or is there better for the cash, like a lower milage golf or leon r ?
i like the interior in the s3 and tbh the looks over the other 2
will they take a fair bit of punishment? being a previous ford owner i worry about this and dont want to be constantly replacing every part lol

any advice welcome

thanks Ben

just wanna know how they have aged are they problamatic ? Most 1.8t have the same common issues, maf, temp senders, thermo stats, waterpump failures, coil packs, split hoses, suspension knocks. Look out for bubbling roof rails too

what sort of mileage will a they start comming unstuck? This question is very much the same as your first lol When it comes to buying an S3 it doesn't matter what mileage it has done, these engines are strong if they've been cared for. You have to look at the general condition of the car, i've seen some 70k examples that are shocking. Longlife service intervals aren't the best either, regular servicing, every 6k-8k is a good sign of a well kept 1.8t

I don't mean to put you off but you will spend money on your S3 if you buy one, it's like a natural phenomenon lol

Based on my own s3, it is quite problematic, more so than other cars iv owned. Nothing major just silly little things which end up costing more than you would expect. Cupra r is alot better value for money. But they are nice cars and do hold there value very well!

Not sure if the extra premium is worth it for the quattro tbh, id say probably not as it adds weight, more drivetrain loss, and possible problems with the system.

I know a nice evo 4 rs for sale if you want something to abuse :eyebrows:

nice one on the roof rails as with any performance car id expect to spend out and thats not the issue i just hate recovery trucks and would rather spend my weekend driving the car not fixing it lol

im not a novice when it comes to cars just s3's really im actually a qualified mechanic (although thats not what i do now) and i do have some good facilities how do transmissions wear i do give my cars some stick it will probably see a track or two and maybe a day at the pod for a laugh

ive seen a local s3 forsale at £4700 with 104k its just the milage scaring me off i guess its worth a look tho?

lol at sportstractor evo 4 is a weekend car imo diffs clutches driveshafts are consumables on lol im looking at an s3 as an everyday just the odd weekend outing and tear up with my mates lol

im not a novice when it comes to cars just s3's really im actually a qualified mechanic (although thats not what i do now) and i do have some good facilities how do transmissions wear i do give my cars some stick it will probably see a track or two and maybe a day at the pod for a laugh

ive seen a local s3 forsale at £4700 with 104k its just the milage scaring me off i guess its worth a look tho?
The transmissions are good I have only heard of a few go and known a lot of owners,my 02 S3 is at 96k and done a fair share of trackdays and sprints and is still working properly.
Never had it not start for me apart from when Ieft the interior light on and drained the battery.

I have had golfs, cupra Rs and all sorts but I would not be without my S3!

ive been in and out of rs turbos all my driving life and they are 100% problematic ive had cracked heads, cracked blocks, stripped gears, poor earths, RUST, ive replaced every gasket every bearing had sensors just go wild on me, exhausts cooking starters suspension bushes falling apart within months of replacing lol, previous owner doing mental things to cars im sure if i get an s3 it will be a walk in the park lol im getting the impression they are fairly mild it the problem areas and its more age related wear rather than being under engineered like alot of performance cars

will call this guy about the local one tomorrow any advice besides the obvious clutch/heat/idle/smoke that should be tested on any car ?

lol at sportstractor evo 4 is a weekend car imo diffs clutches driveshafts are consumables on lol im looking at an s3 as an everyday just the odd weekend outing and tear up with my mates lol

what do you mean, its a family car.

to be fair an S3 will be a godsend compared to an RST, although you will find s3 parts harder to come by second hand and more expensive. You just cant beat ford power though, Got a friend with a 400 bhp cossie powered capri, and since riding round in that every car I ever go in feels slow :ermm: