Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    imported_ashs3

Strange smell from underneath car

Think it may be the exhaust, had taken the car out for a good run and when I parked up I opened the door and got a whiff of what smelt like metal that was being welded or smouldering? smelt the rear pipes of the exhaust and it smelt like gone out sparklers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    The exhaust was making a hell of a crackling noise, more than usual, was worried that something was smouldering underneath, but could not see anything ?
    Is this normal after a bit of driving hard, I only went for a 10 min drive and ended with a burst to 80mph then straight on at a roundabout pretty fast and to a stop on the drive, opened the door and that's when the smell hit me?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Strange smell from underneath car

thats burnt clutch smell - the quick launch did it probably, btw di you do any reversing ? thats when I get the smell....

imported_ashs3

Don't get it when reversing either.

Administrator

Status

I reckon I'd go and try driving it hard again, but without doing screaming standing-starts and all manner of other craziness before it's properly warm.

Hit it again but instead of going for a hard 10 mins, do the first 30 nice and easy (or if you can't wait 30, just wait a few minutes after your temp. gauge hits 90) - then give it some.

Take a wiff then for a more 'controlled' opinion?

Regards,

Rob

2nd Gear

Status

what about if it smells really eggy? is that ok?

5th Gear

Status

eggy, is probably sulpherous from the cat. I think thats okay.

imported_ashs3

Still got the smell even after just driving around normal today, not as strong though, changed my mind about the smell as well, it smells kinda burning metal/plastic now so thinking it may be plastic bag or something stuck on the cat? if not then it is the manifold that is smelling when hot?

imported_YOGi

Could be oil leaking onto the exhaust and creating the nice eggy smell. Check you havnt got any oil leaks.

YOGi

imported_ashs3

[ QUOTE ]
    YOGi said:
    Could be oil leaking onto the exhaust and creating the nice eggy smell. Check you havnt got any oil leaks.

YOGi

[/ QUOTE ]

I havn't got an eggy smell, more like burning plastic/metal, it is def not the clutch, the eggy smell I only get when reversing thanks to the CAT (that is normal) I am putting it down to either a plastic bag or something on the cat (if it goes away I know I am right) if not will get the exhaust looked at under warranty [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

imported_YOGi

Yeah your right. Could always be a plastic bag burnt onto the exhaust. Keep an eye on it.

YOGi