headlight adjustment?

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
hello all

just back from my mot and they ****** failed it as the headlights beam is apparently too low. Went to kwik fit as they were cheap, but they didnt know how to adjust, therefore I got the red refusal sheet! Is it possible to manually adjust the headlights? I read some where that there are sensors that sense the way the car is sitting to electronically adjust the beam? A bit miffed that its failed and they want another £24 for a retest.

Mine is a 99 S3.

If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Donnie

Reactions: Roadtrain
It needs to be put in its adjustment setting using VCDS or 5051 before it can be manually adjusted on the headlight units using a 5mm hex key

ok thanks

I take it thats something that has to be done at an audi garage?

More than likely unless you have a garage that has vagcom and a beam tester.

Last edited:
If you just want to pass the MOT, disconnect the motors from behind the headlights and use an allen key to adjust the beam height. A few turns will raise them considerably, any more and they'll just be pointing to the sky.

Hi, ive had the same problem with kwikfit failing my mot, one of the problems was the headlamps. They told me they could move them but they either went all the way up or all the way down!? Ive got a feeling the bloke was a muppet and didnt know what he was doing!

I may try disconnecting the motors, i take it they are on the back of the headlamps? Or i do have vagcom, would i be able to adjust them myself?

Thanks guys

Allan

So just to confirm, how do you use vag com to set the headlight heights? Do you have to put it into MOT mode or adjustment mode like said in this thread, i cant seem to find a answer! Could do with knowing exactly how it's done if anyone knows.

Surely someone knows?

ive just fitted some new 6k xenons to my new headlights and the left 1 is really low, i dont have vagcom so would it be posible to disconect the motors and just manualy adjust them for the mean time till i get vagcom?

Yer my left one seems to be slightly lower then my right

they have manual adjusters on my preface lift,as well as the auto leveling.......i should know i just set them on our beam tester? either your man looking at the lights is an idiot or the manual adjuster is fubar.

oh and why would it be adjustable in vagcom if it has manual adjusters,you set them on the beam tester and the auto levlers just keep at the level you set,in vagcom you can move them up and down,this is to test the function of the motors but nothing ive seen to set them at a desired hight?

Well my manual adjusters are ****** then. I've always been told that you need vagcom to set the correct level because if done manual they just reset to the deafult position, how true that is i dont know but ive been told that many a time now.

probably,the steel shaft rusts then swells and then cracks the plastic cog,looks like its turning but the rod is stationary,seen this many,many times as a tester.

Make sure you have a full copy of Vag Com/VCDS as my VCDS Lite was unable to do half the functions I wanted. Like logging certain blocks when logging engine readings and finalising the position of the lights :( So it threw up a fault because I hadn't reset everything!

Hi I had the same problem at a recent MOT, I had read on here that you needed VAGCOM to set the headlights, but we tried the manual adjusters anyway. The first time they were adjusted I switched the ignition on and off and they dropped to the same level, but the second time they were adjusted they were fine and have stayed in the same position ever since - which is great as I can now see where I'm going at night!!

JD09, you a star mate.

Do you know if the cheapo version that you can buy on ebay will allow you to adjust the headlights?

so if you can adjust them with vagcom you will still have to adjust them at a place with a beam tester as it will still be out and will it be correct or close enough to then use the fine adjustments with the manual adjusters?

off to play with this tomorrow and see how fine the adjustment is me thinks

Sorry for the delay Dani. PM replied to fella.

Just to note, if you do not have the registered version of VCDS Lite, you cannot do this adjustment. Mine threw up a fault (00035 or something similar) because I was not able to reset the home position. So I raised and lowered the lights via the "do it!" button, but that was as far as I could go...

Will report back once have paid for and installed VCDS lite.

I did the adjust using vagcom and the headlamps didnt move an inch! I beleive my motors are faulty. Anyway i disconnected the motors and manually adjustment the beams so they were the same level and now they are fine. Cant beleive I had 1 pointing up and the other pointing down! lol

Just been for a quick drive in mine (1st time at night for months!) and the headlights are awful, only got about 10 foot of light in front of car if i turn the fogs on i can see further which is fairly poor for a factory HID setup!!!
Did a search which brought me to this thread, anyway going on a bit now so opened Elsawin and printed a 6 page pdf of the workshop headlight settings (pm for a copy).:ninja:

basically VAG1551 (or VCDS) is used to put headlights into a 'setting' position then adjusted by screwdriver and then the controler learns the new reference position and the automatic range function should be restored.

all i need now is VCDS:eyebrows:...

I did the adjust using vagcom and the headlamps didnt move an inch! I beleive my motors are faulty. Anyway i disconnected the motors and manually adjustment the beams so they were the same level and now they are fine. Cant beleive I had 1 pointing up and the other pointing down! lol

well with no access to VCDS at the mo i'm going to have a go at that myself, did you reconnect the motors after?

I managed to adjust mine up to quite an acceptable driving distance without unplugging motors or using VCDS, i'm going to check again tonight but they seem to have stayed where i set them, does this mean my motors are knackered or what? me no understand

Hi to all, I can't find screw on headlight for regulate they, anyone has a picture about it please? In addition I don't understand if I'll have to use VCDS too or if is it alternative then screwdriver. Thank you All.

I found headlight adjustment screw, but it doesn't work (it rotates but no light adjustment aswell): what could be happened? Thank you.

I think it all depends on the lights fitted, I have entirely manual headlights in mine, no sensors connected, no motors, no HID.
My adjusters do work, but in the past on Jag and fiat, I have had adjusters which just turn as they have been over adjusted and ruined.

Thank you for your reply. So do you believe my manual adjustments screws are broken?

you can usually tell if they are broken. the jag only could be adjusted by about 180 degrees so are easily knackered - whereas the Audi needs about 10 entire rotations to move the beam about 3 inches on a wall 6 feet away - the fiat were over adjusted and popped off the arm.

maybe if it has previously had motors the manual adjusters have not been reconnected?

you know there are 2 adjusters one for up/down and the other for left / right

It seems screw are stripped (they round but no light adjustments). About connection, I never unplegged they. About two adjusters I tried all, but anyone work. Un head light put light up, and the other one put light down.

I actually glued a blob of araldite on my Jag adjusters to hold them in the right place as they had essential dropped down to the floor. Incredibly the faster a car goes the less dipped head light beam you get. The best lights on any car I have owned are the Mazda 3 Hid I have and a 2005 c3. My S3 lights are down right dangerous.

I'm thinking about buy new headlights: what are the best ones in your opinion? Thank you.

For new headlights I'd get them from @t8ups a few of us have them they are brilliant 10x better than original and own looking

For new headlights I'd get them from @t8ups a few of us have them they are brilliant 10x better than original and own looking
Thank you very much. Are them xenon or bixenon? And do you have any pictures? Thank you again.

PS:

My original ones, a part broken screw adjustments, are very opaque.

Thank you very much. Are them xenon or bixenon? And do you have any pictures? Thank you again.

PS:

My original ones, a part broken screw adjustments, are very opaque.

Loads of pics and info here - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/possible-xenon-headlamp-group-buy.277002/ as a lot of the members say in the thread, a good investment for sure.

if there is more interest then write it in the thread, I have had a few pms so if we can get 10 buyers I'm happy to run another GB, as the brackets are in stock I can do they whole process a lot faster.

Trups

Having replaced a snapped headlight clip, my O/S xenon is now pointing too high. I believe my N/S is at the correct angle (clip wasnt broken, but replaced anyway). Both motors are working and level sensors are attached with no fault codes.

Can I simply manually adjust my O/S xenon down to match the N/S without any further recalibration?