Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Where next? Advice appreciated. .

    Hi Guys,

    I have a 99 1.8 20v T A3 as a second car to my E46 M3. I have done some bits and bobs to it in the mean time as unfortunaly I can not leave cars alone, even the run around! Modifying is a dangerous bug!

    I have lowered in on 18" new style polished RS4 wheels, custom code remap with K&N Panel Filter Forge 007 Recriv valve and some other cosmetic bits and bobs.

    My question is are there any cheap power mods that you guys would have far better knowledge on then me on to make the thing slightly more lively. In comparison to the M3 it is never going to feel fast, but I am so bored of the power it is unreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    JD09's Avatar
    I'm not modding, I'm improving

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cheshire, Alderley Edge
    Posts
    3,078
    FMIC, TBE, stage two etc.

    Depends what you mean by cheap.

    Also, if you are bored of the power, what about handling? Better dampers, springs, ARBs, spacers etc.

  4. #3
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,160
    Smooth out the airbox for a slight power increase and a nice sound.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  5. #4
    Welly's Avatar
    Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,680
    Quote Originally Posted by JRGsr View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have a 99 1.8 20v T A3 as a second car to my E46 M3. I have done some bits and bobs to it in the mean time as unfortunaly I can not leave cars alone, even the run around! Modifying is a dangerous bug!

    I have lowered in on 18" new style polished RS4 wheels, custom code remap with K&N Panel Filter Forge 007 Recriv valve and some other cosmetic bits and bobs.

    My question is are there any cheap power mods that you guys would have far better knowledge on then me on to make the thing slightly more lively. In comparison to the M3 it is never going to feel fast, but I am so bored of the power it is unreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    AGU engine?

    These are more limited to mods than most as they have an earlier ECU and cable throttle.

    BUT - on the plus side, they have no MAP sensor.... LOL.

    Agree with the above, I had an AGU engine running approx 230+ bhp without spending big money.

    Get an FMIC (Ł200), K03S turbo (Ł~250), Silicone TIP (Ł80), 3" downpipe and decat (Ł110 off ebay) and an R Tech AGU K03S map (Ł300 IIRC). (R Tech claim up to 240 BHP - but 230 is more realistic)

    Easily do-able for less than a grand if you shop about and do the work yourself, and will give you a MASSIVE power increase over what you have now.
    Last edited by Welly; 10th June 2010 at 14:07.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world




  6. #5
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    AGU engine?

    These are more limited to mods than most as they have an earlier ECU and cable throttle.

    BUT - on the plus side, they have no MAP sensor.... LOL.

    Agree with the above, I had an AGU engine running approx 230+ bhp without spending big money.

    Get an FMIC (Ł200), K03S turbo (Ł~250), Silicone TIP (Ł80), 3" downpipe and decat (Ł110 off ebay) and an R Tech AGU K03S map (Ł300 IIRC). (R Tech claim up to 240 BHP - but 230 is more realistic)

    Easily do-able for less than a grand if you shop about and do the work yourself, and will give you a MASSIVE power increase over what you have now.
    Pretty much what he said!

    I did exactly that and am more than happy with the power output now!

  7. #6
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    if im right ....this should give your M3 a run for its money assuming you have a KO3S turbo upgrade (which is fitted to most post 2000 cars)
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  8. #7
    Welly's Avatar
    Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,680
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    if im right ....this should give your M3 a run for its money assuming you have a KO3S turbo upgrade (which is fitted to most post 2000 cars)
    A 99 plate will be an AGU in an A3 dude, so it will have a boggo K0thrice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world




  9. #8
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    thats why i said upgrade matey
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  10. #9
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,064
    Thats as cheap as its going to get really, 1k to get you up to 230bhp. Think it costs around 2k, but you could always get your turbo hybrided for around 270bhp. Thatd be a rocket due to the weight difference! what bhp is the m3? around 300bhp
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

  11. #10
    Chugger

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    2,716
    Quote Originally Posted by JRGsr View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I have a 99 1.8 20v T A3 as a second car to my E46 M3. I have done some bits and bobs to it in the mean time as unfortunaly I can not leave cars alone, even the run around! Modifying is a dangerous bug!

    I have lowered in on 18" new style polished RS4 wheels, custom code remap with K&N Panel Filter Forge 007 Recriv valve and some other cosmetic bits and bobs.

    My question is are there any cheap power mods that you guys would have far better knowledge on then me on to make the thing slightly more lively. In comparison to the M3 it is never going to feel fast, but I am so bored of the power it is unreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Dude, just out of intrest, what kind of economy do you get out of your M3, got a friend whos after one, and we took one out for a test drive and I was impressed the the car, drove lovely. The salesman told us people often average 25mpg and get over 30 on a run, which i was impressed by, not sure how true that is though?
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    Dude, just out of intrest, what kind of economy do you get out of your M3, got a friend whos after one, and we took one out for a test drive and I was impressed the the car, drove lovely. The salesman told us people often average 25mpg and get over 30 on a run, which i was impressed by, not sure how true that is though?
    Thanks for all the advice.

    Hard to say on MPG of the M3 as it is only really used as a toy so when I drive it, it usually gets 'driven'.

    It is a great all rounder. 25mpg is not unrealistic, but like all things it depends how you drive it. I would also recommend you friend drives both an SMG and Manual as they have both have different driving characteristcs. There are some basic checks he should be doing as well . Earlier ones had some recalls on big end bearings and also some are prone to cracking rear subframes, which 90% bmw will replace under warrenty but if not can prove very very expensive.

    For more info get him over to m3cutters.com

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO