Where next? Advice appreciated. .

JRGsr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 99 1.8 20v T A3 as a second car to my E46 M3. I have done some bits and bobs to it in the mean time as unfortunaly I can not leave cars alone, even the run around! Modifying is a dangerous bug!

I have lowered in on 18" new style polished RS4 wheels, custom code remap with K&N Panel Filter Forge 007 Recriv valve and some other cosmetic bits and bobs.

My question is are there any cheap power mods that you guys would have far better knowledge on then me on to make the thing slightly more lively. In comparison to the M3 it is never going to feel fast, but I am so bored of the power it is unreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FMIC, TBE, stage two etc.

Depends what you mean by cheap.

Also, if you are bored of the power, what about handling? Better dampers, springs, ARBs, spacers etc.

Hi Guys,

I have a 99 1.8 20v T A3 as a second car to my E46 M3. I have done some bits and bobs to it in the mean time as unfortunaly I can not leave cars alone, even the run around! Modifying is a dangerous bug!

I have lowered in on 18" new style polished RS4 wheels, custom code remap with K&N Panel Filter Forge 007 Recriv valve and some other cosmetic bits and bobs.

My question is are there any cheap power mods that you guys would have far better knowledge on then me on to make the thing slightly more lively. In comparison to the M3 it is never going to feel fast, but I am so bored of the power it is unreal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AGU engine?

These are more limited to mods than most as they have an earlier ECU and cable throttle.

BUT - on the plus side, they have no MAP sensor.... LOL.

Agree with the above, I had an AGU engine running approx 230+ bhp without spending big money.

Get an FMIC (£200), K03S turbo (£~250), Silicone TIP (£80), 3" downpipe and decat (£110 off ebay) and an R Tech AGU K03S map (£300 IIRC). (R Tech claim up to 240 BHP - but 230 is more realistic)

Easily do-able for less than a grand if you shop about and do the work yourself, and will give you a MASSIVE power increase over what you have now.

Last edited:
AGU engine?

These are more limited to mods than most as they have an earlier ECU and cable throttle.

BUT - on the plus side, they have no MAP sensor.... LOL.

Agree with the above, I had an AGU engine running approx 230+ bhp without spending big money.

Get an FMIC (£200), K03S turbo (£~250), Silicone TIP (£80), 3" downpipe and decat (£110 off ebay) and an R Tech AGU K03S map (£300 IIRC). (R Tech claim up to 240 BHP - but 230 is more realistic)

Easily do-able for less than a grand if you shop about and do the work yourself, and will give you a MASSIVE power increase over what you have now.

Pretty much what he said!

I did exactly that and am more than happy with the power output now!

if im right ....this should give your M3 a run for its money assuming you have a KO3S turbo upgrade (which is fitted to most post 2000 cars)

if im right ....this should give your M3 a run for its money assuming you have a KO3S turbo upgrade (which is fitted to most post 2000 cars)

A 99 plate will be an AGU in an A3 dude, so it will have a boggo K0thrice.

Thats as cheap as its going to get really, 1k to get you up to 230bhp. Think it costs around 2k, but you could always get your turbo hybrided for around 270bhp. Thatd be a rocket due to the weight difference! what bhp is the m3? around 300bhp

Hi Guys,

Dude, just out of intrest, what kind of economy do you get out of your M3, got a friend whos after one, and we took one out for a test drive and I was impressed the the car, drove lovely. The salesman told us people often average 25mpg and get over 30 on a run, which i was impressed by, not sure how true that is though?

Dude, just out of intrest, what kind of economy do you get out of your M3, got a friend whos after one, and we took one out for a test drive and I was impressed the the car, drove lovely. The salesman told us people often average 25mpg and get over 30 on a run, which i was impressed by, not sure how true that is though?

Thanks for all the advice.

Hard to say on MPG of the M3 as it is only really used as a toy so when I drive it, it usually gets 'driven'.

It is a great all rounder. 25mpg is not unrealistic, but like all things it depends how you drive it. I would also recommend you friend drives both an SMG and Manual as they have both have different driving characteristcs. There are some basic checks he should be doing as well . Earlier ones had some recalls on big end bearings and also some are prone to cracking rear subframes, which 90% bmw will replace under warrenty but if not can prove very very expensive.

For more info get him over to m3cutters.com