Do I have to let the car idle before switchn it off?

Neesh

Reaction score
Have a pre-facelift 1.8T just want to know if I have to let te car idle after a trip before switching the engine off?

depends how you have been driving

I dont bother on the s3 as it has the water pump to continue cooling, but if you havent got that it probably is a good idea, that or take it easy for end of trip.

the water pump wont make the blindest bit of difference. have you seen how hot a turbo gets?

the simplest advice i have is just use the absolute minimal boost possible for the last part of your journey (the longer/harder the drive, the longer you keep it off boost for)

the idea is you get as much heat out of the turbo as possible before switch off so that you dont have oil circulation stop inside a baking hot turbo as the heat cooks the oil in place

do you get those if you save up all the tokens on the back of your packets of rice?

hehe, no hard feelings mate
while i was reading on some thread on asn, they concluded that cooling down the turbo isnt really necessary in normal/medium driving conditions.
turbo must be left to cool down in a mapped car that has been driven hard enough to make the turbo really hot, if thats your case then i suggest let the car idle for 30 seconds - 1min depending how hard was the ride.

the water pump wont make the blindest bit of difference. have you seen how hot a turbo gets?

the simplest advice i have is just use the absolute minimal boost possible for the last part of your journey (the longer/harder the drive, the longer you keep it off boost for)

the idea is you get as much heat out of the turbo as possible before switch off so that you dont have oil circulation stop inside a baking hot turbo as the heat cooks the oil in place

yup iv had mine glowing orange before, but to get it like this you have to be driving like a loop, in which case i wouldnt just stop the engine. Of course the water pump does something else it wouldnt be there, it must help.