Indicator noise without the indicator being active

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Good afternoon Gents,

I've had my s3 for just over 2 weeks and I've noticed that sometimes after indicating, going round the corner and the indicator stalk triping back down I can still hear the 'ticking' noise from the indicator.

This doesn't always happen but when it does happen;
The rate of the ticking isn't always constant.
As far as I can see the indicator bulbs do not flash (but this is a bit hard to be certain of).
The lights above the speedo do not flash.

Has anyone had this happen to them, or does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Would replacing a bulb with an incorrect bulb cause this perhaps?

Not massively worried about it but it is a bit annoying :blink:

Cheers Dane.

It is very common for the relay switch to fail on these cars, but that generally causes the indicators to work erratically or not work at-all.

From what you're saying though, it sounds like the indicator stalk switch mechanism is playing-up. It's easy to get to and as long as you can replicate the problem while stationary, it should be easy to diagnose.

Thanks for that! I'll have a look at it this weekend and see if I can identify the problem...

Have the same thing chap, its intermittent and usually on warm days. After the indicator is cancelled the relay erratically 'clicks' which to me means the relay is on its way out. I havent bothered to locate the relay box yet but when i do I imagine simply replacing it will do the trick.

I just trust the lights themselves arent flashing as it latches as it will be seriously confusing the drivers around me, i dont think they do though.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about! having driven slowly past stationary cars whilst the noise is happening I can't see any reflections from the indicators.

Its a known issue,your hazard switch needs replacing as it is where the relay is,30 quid for the part iirc

Main dealer part i believe....takes about 20 mins to replace.