AH intercooler fiiting with fogs?

campbell

Reaction score
Fitted this piece of kit over the weekend with help from the guide on here so thanks very much for that! Just a quick question, when i put the bumper back on there was no way i could refit it without removing the fog lights! I removed them both and the brackets still foul a little on the pipes. Is there anyway of keeping the fogs?

Cheers

yes, invest in an angle grinder for the inside of the bumper and trim your pipes more :)

there is no easy way to do it, as long as your running 51mm pipework then it is possible as has been prvoen by a few owners now ;)

Where is it fouling? I used washers to space the FMIC down a bit to get it in the right position... this was by design... you may fine that you will have to do the same as fitting the brackets directly to the crash bar will sit the FMIC too high..

<tuffty/>

It is fouling on the brackets for the fogs, it either needs to be raised or lowered (intercooler). I mounted the intercooler brackets underneath the crash bar too. Then again you dont legally require fogs, the look of the car doesnt look too bad with them out!

Ok i plan to take another look at it the end of the week and see what can be done, cheers for advice guys

>Campbell

I packed down from the bottom of the crash bar...

When I went to see Alex for final fitting, neither of us knew where the brackets would sit so after a bit of playing about with the height of the cooler so it was sitting about right he marked up where the brackets would go. I then suggested that they were fitted a little lower to allow for some fine adjustment with washers...

In this picture there are about 3 washers to lower the cooler from the crash bar, you may need more or less than that but it was part of the spec I gave Alex when I asked him to make a FMIC for an S3.
20090625_IMG_3482.jpg

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tufty, thats about the same height i have mine. I didnt cut down any silicon or aluminium pipes though so i guess thats the next step, will have the bumper off sometime this week

Thankyou

I trimmed the back of the bracket on my bumper,and mine fitted fine... Only prob i have is, ive lost the flush gap under my headlights,but ohhh well...

Good bit of kit though...

Pete...

...Only prob i have is, ive lost the flush gap under my headlights...

You sure you fitted the bumper back on ok? there are a couple of 'tangs' on the bumper that slot in to a 'special' slot under the headlights, its easy to fit this under that slot and you get the gap that way...

<tuffty/>

Yea im pretty sure its in that special slot, i will have to double check. It seams that even if i trim my pipework it still wont fit with the fogs in place!

Unless something has changed with the cooler I can't see how you wouldn't be able to... it was designed with that very thing in mind...

Get some pics up, might be able to see what the problem is

<tuffty/>

Upload to somewhere like Photobucket and add them to a post using the 'Insert Image' button (
insertimage.png
) or I think you can upload to an album on ASN from the settings menu.

<tuffty/>

Cheers for that Tufty, another question, audi-sport is not loading up as it should be-the page is all muddled up. How do i correct this?

Tufty have you got a photo of the piping arrangement behing you fog lamp cover, bumper insert (they can be pulled from the front to remove)?

Tufty you are the man, ill get the intercooler sorted properly this weekend. Its made a difference to the performance, more responsive and no more lag ! No worries about the tip ha ha

All this information has been covered...

dimensions and ones I used as the spec for the FMIC AH built me...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?65338-FORGE-INTERCOOLER

FMIC fitments on the S3, AH, Forge and varying ebay coolers...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?75425-AH-Fab-Ebay-Forge-S3-FMIC-(image-heavy)

Searching on FMIC will bring back lots of info that you will need to sift through but the info is out there.... you can get other FMIC's other than the AH and Forge to fit the S3 but you will need to do some work and potentially compromise on things to get it in...

Its not just about the core size here, the end tanks and outlets play a part in how easy your life is going to be...

AH and Forge FMIC's are no fuss solutions... ebay coolers will require effort...

<tuffty/>

I will order one of those anyways...I have readed those threads many times lol.
I will give it a try but since many are available i am trying to get a kit that is the most similar to what you guys have used....forge or AH.
I wont receive it until 20 days or so and when i will have time i will install it with pictures and as much details as possible so it will answer more questions concerning the cheap FMIC mod DIY...the cost is 200$ (around 130 pounds) includinf the interooler, pipes and brackets