Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    S3-Oski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    480

    Just got my car scanned by RAC as my Eml light is on,

    Hi all ive had a engine management light come up on my AUDI s3 2001, I callled the RAC out,

    The guy scanned it with his machine and the code that was on there was:-

    A CAMSHAFT POSTION TIMING OVER RETARDED BANK1

    OR

    CAMSHAFT A INTAKE ADVANCE SET POINT NOT REACHED OVER RETARDED.

    Then i have written down here, Suggest checks of valve timing/sensors+turbo boost? not sure if he suggested that or it was on machine.

    The car has not been pulling as well, recently like not boosting as well but drives quite normal, he said it was ticking over fine etc?

    Any1 got any clue what it could be?

    Thanks
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    Sounds like the timing is out, could be the belt that is one tooth out
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  4. #3
    ALPINE's Avatar
    Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    S/E LONDON / KENT
    Posts
    3,086
    my a4 done that. Could not change the tentioner as i was sorced the wrong part by siena on here back in the day. After driving 300 miles to another fellow member on here to do the cam belt and a load of other work i got half way home and the belt slipped a tooth. Car still drove but was not the same. Ended up changing the engine in the end as i could never get it right again.

    Now to many mods to list! Lots of power, torque and Leather!

  5. #4
    S3-Oski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    Sounds like the timing is out, could be the belt that is one tooth out
    I only had my belt changed just over 14 months ago iirc could this still happen? the guy said it was running/ticking over fine?

    hmmm
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

  6. #5
    S3-Oski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by ALPINE View Post
    my a4 done that. Could not change the tentioner as i was sorced the wrong part by siena on here back in the day. After driving 300 miles to another fellow member on here to do the cam belt and a load of other work i got half way home and the belt slipped a tooth. Car still drove but was not the same. Ended up changing the engine in the end as i could never get it right again.
    lets hope its not that then, not driving it anywhere that for sure untill sorted,
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

  7. #6
    S3-Oski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    480
    Just found this.


    16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

    Possible Symptoms

    • Erratic Idle
    Possible Causes

    • Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
    • Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
    Possible Solutions

    • Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster
      • Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting
    But my Idle is fine
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

  8. #7
    Sandip's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    2,379
    When i bought mine they fella who did my timing belt service was a bit of a pleb, put everything back but one tooth advanced, once my car hit 5000rpm the eml came on and juddered a bit. On tick over the car was fine, general pottering around was ok too. I think best thing to do is get the timing belt re-done along with tensioners. There might be an easy fix which i don't know of. I spent alot farting around looking for causes, ended up doing the timing belt again and my problem was sorted
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software


  9. #8
    S3-Oski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    When i bought mine they fella who did my timing belt service was a bit of a pleb, put everything back but one tooth advanced, once my car hit 5000rpm the eml came on and juddered a bit. On tick over the car was fine, general pottering around was ok too. I think best thing to do is get the timing belt re-done along with tensioners. There might be an easy fix which i don't know of. I spent alot farting around looking for causes, ended up doing the timing belt again and my problem was sorted
    I see i got it done at a specialist, the light has only ever been on once since and that was a failed 02 sensor, I will have to get somebody to have a good look at it, as to be honest dont want to get cambelt done again if that is not going to solve it, the car has been fine, only sometimes it seems to not pull as well? and the light came on the other day i have not drove it since, its on my drive,
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO