Suspension.. (sorry)

gotta be something seriously wrong if you could chuck £3k at it and still not be happy

if i had an S3 (highly unlikely) and £3k to chuck at it i would....

do a sensible suspension upgrade. new bushes everywhere.

spend the balance on a turbo upgrade

p.s I meant to do, as in bang, list. But never mind.

So who has lowered their car that we know of? Tuffty aka Paul? Welly, get on the blower/email/PM. You know him better than most.

p.s I meant to do, as in bang, list. But never mind.

So who has lowered their car that we know of? Tuffty aka Paul? Welly, get on the blower/email/PM. You know him better than most.

Yep, Tuffty is lowered on Billies with wheel spacers as well. Not sure about tie bars though....

Didn't PM him - just happen to know off hand after discussing it in the past.

It does. Suspension could be over a £K. New brakes (OEM replacement stuff) over £300. Remap/filter/Forge (hush Matt) £300.

Off on a tangent, do you think if we asked the OP nicely he would actually rename the thread to the correct spelling of 'suspension'?

Every time an email pops into my Inbox it's bugging me.

I'm pretty sure Tuffty has forge tiebars guys.

There is a member on here called Dave i think who has been munufacturing his own tie bars and they are a lot cheaper than forges and just as well made.

Yeah saw that, but they're still a couple of ton aren't they?

The suspesial title annoys me as well, but MEH.

yeah, someone needs to have a look at the actual geometry and see if there if the myth holds water

ive had four different sets on the golf..... love suspension :p

if i get the other half a mk4 ill be putting that on a simple gmax -30mm kit

So where are we up to? In fact, what was the initial question?

Should the dude buy some cheap coilies to tide him over.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Close thread now!

LOL

On the TT,S3, LCR we find that the replacement of the top tie bars only is normally satisfactory to correct lowering of 25-35mm. If the car has been lowered significantly more it may be necessary to replace the lower bars also, but we have only seen this requirement on racing rather than road going cars. The reason we recommend changing the upper tie bars on road going cars rather than the lower bars, is because the level sensors are normally fitted to the lower bars and few installers have the facility for re-calibration.

Please remember that an accurate geometry alignment will be required after the installation of this product to achieve the best possible results.​

ambiguous. doesnt say why theyre needed

id like to know what camber you get on the rear when lowered with OE tie bars.

Hmmmm, someone's watching . . . title has changed.

Last edited:
I'll quite happily tell you when I have mine lowered - BUT that won't be for a little while, so it's a watch this space moment.

^^ That space there.

When I have mine done, I shall inform thee gentle ASN folk.

You're the one who asked to be friends . . .

So we all agree that I should just buy B6s and **** off tie bars and lowering the car? Yeah? Good, Matt get your **** up here.

Oh I meant B6s and standard springs.

But yeah that's a point, just buy the B8s and H&Rs, then tie bars at a later date.

Itchy wallet . . .

If I may but in ladies, mine is lowered and I have adjustable tiebars BUT, they haven't been adjusted yet to allow for the car sitting lower so they are in the same position as the factory tiebars. And I can confirm that the inner edges of the rear tyres have worn significantly more than the outer edge. Its easy to see the camber is way out. My rear wheels = /\

I'd take a photo, but my car is with the guy whose wedding Tufty has gone too. So its about 70 miles from me at the moment.

It depends on how much you lower the rear, the more lower you go, the more camber is dialed in naturally. The Eibach springs I have lowers the rear by approx 25mm over standard, and running 19" rims, it scrubs the inner tread more for sure, especially with track work, but since I only do 2-3k miles a year, I've never bothered with the tie bars... not until Dave sold me a set of custom stainless steel ones for £165 delivered. Not had the opportunity to fit them yet mind, but they will be on the S3 soon.
Audi also did factory lowered GmbH springs which was 10mm lower than standard I think?, and these never required the camber adjusted.

So, it's a no then on the cheap coilovers, I think thats where we are, lmao... oh & sooooo sorry my typo bugged you so much a mod had to change the title, didn't even notice myself :sorry:
Steve

So, it's a no then on the cheap coilovers, I think thats where we are, lmao... oh & sooooo sorry my typo bugged you so much a mod had to change the title, didn't even notice myself :sorry:
Steve

LOL, it didn't bug me that much bud! :thumbsup:

polys are nice and tbh in the past i didnt think they effected the ride thaaaaaat badly

if i was EVER putting bushes in the back beam of an 8L again, it will definately been polys. putting oes back in is hard work lol