Overheating?

michaelspirou

Reaction score
A3 1.8T temp gets at 100-110 deg no more than that when I rev the engine it drops to 90 deg straight away any ideas.

Note that this only happens very rarely one or two times and it may happen again after a couple of months again has any body have any advice?

Or it could be a failing fuel pump. Mine did this but was much worse. It was running lean which caused it to overheat and misfire on boost. (as it wasn't getting the fuel requested) Didn't show up on VAG-COM annoyingly though.

Had the timing belt on our 1.8 T (2002) changed recently, and the water pump, when I collected the car the mechanic showed me the old water pump and half the plastic impeller was missing, how lucky was that. Dont know if its your water pump thats faulty, but it could be related to over-heating etc.

thermostat is stuck open on the small circuit. Cooling will be fine on short journeys but any time you put ur foot down or drive for a bit longer it shoots up to 110ish (never any more) right?

i had the same problem. When the water pump goes the temps tend to fluctuate a bit.

Thermostat will cost about 60-70 quid. It can be done your self quite easily but its a relatively cheap labour for a garage aswell.

do they really charge £60-£70 to do a stat?

no that stat is £60-70 itself then i dunno £30 quid or something to change it. Takes 30 mins or so. Depends on labour costs

a stat will cost £7-£8 from audi directly

If the thermostat was stuck open wouldn't the engine run cold rather than hot?

the thermostat closes and stops a water flow to the radiator until it reaches its optimum temperature (about 90c) and then it opens a little bit to keep the car at that temp. Once its been driven hard and it cannot open anymore (it being stuck) then it doesnt have suffient water (coolant whatever) to keep it cool. if its stuck open fully it will hardly ever move off of 60c

A working one will fluctuate up and down depending on all its variants.

--------

and thanks matt i just realised i have been done a gooden! i thought they jacked me up on the thermostat but really they charged silly labour to change that and reset my throttle body... ******** my normal garage was closed as it was sunday :gun2:

What do you mean small circuit?
And you mean we have 2 stats to control water flow? If so where do we find the second stat the main stat is on the block under the manifold blcking flow to the rad
Please help me understand

i think when he says small circuit, it means that the coolant doesnt flow to the radiater (i.e. stat closed) making the loop shorter than when the stat is open and the flow does goes to the radiater.