Clutch pedal stuck down on 1998 1.6 Sport A3

Mayhem

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Audi A3 1998 1.6 Sport. My clutch pedal went flat to the floor while driving and now the clutch does not work at all as it does not spring back up when I release my foot. I have been told that the rod that goes from the clutch pedal to the diaphragm has gone right through the diaphragm (AA man using basic terms to explain the problem to me). I can move the clutch pedal up and down with my hand. My question is will my A3 need a new clutch or is this just a part that is linked to the clutch that can be repaired easily and cheaper than replacing the whole clutch.
This is the second time this has happened to my car in a couple of years, a friend of a friend repaired it last time but I am considering taking it to audi (well getting it towed there!) but would like to know what sort of cost this would all incur and what you think has broken on the car.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Hi mate,
Sounds like your slave cylinder, which i had go in my S3, mine was internal so i had the clutch changed at the same time cause he had to go insde there to fix the slave cylinder.
Don't know if the a3 is the same or not. but hope this helps.
Johnny:kissmyrings:

Thanks for replying Johnny, I think your right as I think I remember thats what failed last time.

Does anyone know what this sort of repair would cost or any reliable places to get this repaired near Staines in Middlesex?

Cheers

Mark

You need to confirm its the slave cylinder first and not the clutch pedal. I dont know if the A3 1.6 is the same as the S3 but its common for the S3 clutch pedal to snap causing the pedal to drop to the floor. Check the drivers well for any broken bits of plastic, if its this then its a job you can do yourself (so a search on here for a guide) My slave cylinder failed recentley on my S3, the pedal was to the floor, but you could pull it back up and then it would slowly drop back down over a period of time, another tell tell sign is your brake fluid warning coming on as mine leaked after it failed. Total cost for replacing the slave cylinder, clutch and duel mass flywheel, plus wheel alignment on my S3 was £900. It shouldnt be as much on the 1.6 A3, and the flywheel may not need replacing (Mine had play in it) Its a gearbox off job on the S3 hence why the clutch was replaced, had done 100k plus if the fluid leaks into the clutch its ****** so having it replaced was a no brainer.

this has happened to me twice now, firstly it went on my first audi a3 1.8t and then i had a mk4 golf 1.8t recently and sold it, but as the matey was coming back round to my house to get the papers it snapped right outside my house so i had to repair it for him!:banghead: basically what it is, is that there is pin that fits into a pivot on the clutch pedal, this pin engages and dis engages the clutch, but after a while it breaks the casing on the clutch pedal, this then causes the pin to go straight through without hitting anything and then the clutch pedal falls to the floor! I got the parts same day from audi and for everything including a new clutch pedal it was about £21 including vat and it took about an hour or two but if you attempt it yourself you'll need some patience as the spring that makes the clutch pedal come back up is a c**t to get back in!

hope this helps!:sm4: