Interesting read

nice read but love this bit "and a clutch assembly costs around £130" haha make if only. it requires at least 8 hours of work

didn't think the s3 was permanent four wheeled drive.

"With permanent four-wheel drive"

Erm, no it's not lol.

edit; damn too slow, sorry Gav!

yer i like the errors in there, and the ratings at the bottom, i thought the general opinion was that the S3 is not all that great at handling?

yer i like the errors in there, and the ratings at the bottom, i thought the general opinion was that the S3 is not all that great at handling?

I beg to differ, I think they handle very well.

I trust mine a lot, feels confident, sturdy and planted on the road.

Im with you on that welly. Its not a great handling car but if you drive it in a way which plays to its abilities its perfectly fine.

You got to remember that that review was likely to be done nearly 10 years ago and at that time the S3 was a very good hot hatch compared to the rest, where as today is just a good overall hot hatch

Nathan

I beg to differ, I think they handle very well.

I trust mine a lot, feels confident, sturdy and planted on the road.

handle well or grip well? theres definately a difference

handles well but is not a drivers car and is setup to understeer (safer than oversteer in manufactures eyes) hence why a lot of people have changed the springs/shocks/arbs to produce a neutral setup making it more of a drivers car. Whats interesting is if you go and read reviews of the TT which is basically the same car but a lot of people slated the way it handled

see, ive only fitted aftermarket ARBs to A3s. i cant say that ive noticed that they make the car into a tail happy oversteering wonder, but it dramatically changes the response of the car, same with dampers etc etc etc

imo, having driven a fair few, they do have really quite incredible levels of grip, which will inspire confidence (to an extent) and make a highly capable car, but to the petrolhead/driver etc the inert feel takes away from driver involvement hence i suppose the comments in the press etc.

eitherway, the car was quite ground breaking when it came out so i dont think there is anything to moan about

You also have to remember that most of us are driving round with 8+ year old shocks, springs, arbs, bushes and the car would have handled a lot better if we had bought them brand new. I bet if someone was to get their entire suspension changed to brand new OEM suspension they would think the car was running some special setup :yes: