My second attempt at a coilover thread....

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
OK. About 3 months ago, I started this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?93787-Rokkor-Racing-coilovers&highlight=rokkor

I ended up buying them for testing.... and then the manufacturer emailed me informing me that they do not do a set for any Quattro model.

Great. :(

So, 3 months on, I am really needed some new suspension. Front shocks are FUBAR, squeaky, leaky and the suspected source of a mysterious 'clunk' sound, which happens whenever it seems to fancy doing it.

So, I am starting a new and not at all improved cheap coilover thread.

I have found these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-OVER-COI...arParts_SM&hash=item27b18f0f36#ht_3365wt_1137.

I know most people's thought on cheap items on this forum, but I am a big believer in giving things a go before saying they are utter gash.

I shall be ordering these when I get back from holiday next month - BUT - in the mean time, has anybody had any experience of them and want to give their 2 cents on what they think?

Been there, done that, destroyed two steering racks, top mounts, bearings and God knows how many bushes. All for the looks rather than the go.

They might start out brilliant, but will become crashy and awful.

You have a PM.

All easy to solve and yes, it was Renault built by surrender monkeys, but it made the thing I loved and spent money on a terror to drive = not driving it.

OK. About 3 months ago, I started this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?93787-Rokkor-Racing-coilovers&highlight=rokkor

I ended up buying them for testing.... and then the manufacturer emailed me informing me that they do not do a set for any Quattro model.

Great. :(

So, 3 months on, I am really needed some new suspension. Front shocks are FUBAR, squeaky, leaky and the suspected source of a mysterious 'clunk' sound, which happens whenever it seems to fancy doing it.

So, I am starting a new and not at all improved cheap coilover thread.

I have found these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-OVER-COI...arParts_SM&hash=item27b18f0f36#ht_3365wt_1137.

I know most people's thought on cheap items on this forum, but I am a big believer in giving things a go before saying they are utter gash.

I shall be ordering these when I get back from holiday next month - BUT - in the mean time, has anybody had any experience of them and want to give their 2 cents on what they think?

TBH, I was thinking the same as you, for the money they were worth a punt.... be interested to know if you do go for them, or if anyone has used this particular kit & how they found it, not looking to go uber low, just a bit lower & less roll than i have now.

Personally, my opinion, yada yada;

If you want to lower your car, get coilovers. Cheap ones. Good for looks, innit.

If you want to upgrade your car's handling on the road, get a specially designed spring and damper setup, like the B8/H&R that all the knowledge banks on here (quite rightly) rave about.

If you want to improve handling on a track car, get decent coilovers.

Coilies are usually quite a bouncy/harsh ride, by their very nature, so couple that with the **** state of most roads, regardless of the country/location and it usually makes for a less comfortable ride.

I know very little about the mechanics of all this, but this is from personal experience in many fast road/race/track cars in the Renault scene.

Pretty much bang on that, except to add, DECENT coilovers can have the advantages of the coil spring/damper combo with added adjustableness.

I mean top line adjustable damping models with some pedegree behind them.

I have tried
FKs , they were good but customer service sucked
Vmaxx, blew the rear shocks and it took 3 mnths to get them swapped under warrenty
Spax RSX, even though i bought them used, they were the best of the 3 by a country mile and are still going strong now. I had to order some new parts for them and they were in stock and delivered next day no problem.

I know LOADS of people who run hottunning coilovers on golfs, mk2 3 and 4, all without issues.

hot tunning coilovers for the FWD mk4 chassis are identical to Jamex ones, so at a guess I'd say these will be from teh same factory for the AWD chassis. good kit

Pretty much bang on that, except to add, DECENT coilovers can have the advantages of the coil spring/damper combo with added adjustableness.

I mean top line adjustable damping models with some pedegree behind them.

Your right. I have H&R Monotubes in my S3 and they ride pretty much the same as B8's and H&R springs. In actual fact the rear dampers in the H&R coilover kit are B8's and the front dampers are Bilstein anyway.

Entry level H&R Monotubes are not damping adjustable but are offered in two configurations "Sport" & "Comfort". I went with the comfort option and as Ive said they are very very similar to B8/H&R.

My advice to the OP is save up for the B8 and H&R combo. As others have said its a proven setup. If you go down the budget route you will always wonder how good could it have been with a decent setup.

Most people that swear by budget or midrange coilovers have never driven on a good set. The same could be said for people who believe all coilovers are bouncy or trashy.

Keith