New shock required?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So, slight clunk at the back on the S3. Could this be the culprit? Rear drivers side shock;
0a1673a7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not good mate, assuming all else is good, then its a fair assumtion that a leaky shock will cause noises etc.

Soemtimes they can p!55 oil everywhere and have no symptoms at all it is however deffo an MOT failure

Appreciate that. All the more excuses to go billies and h&rs. MOT is sept time so had planned on doing it all around then.

I need a rear drivers side shock the same as you, priced at £80/per shock and if you buy from somewhere official they will tell you that you can only buy in pairs.. I'm going to get both regardless just to be on the safe side :)

Mine failed MOT in February and Audi Hatfield quoted me over £300 for two rear shocks fitted! I found some 2nd hand replacements and fitted them myself, 20 mins a shock to change, easy.

I have a spare rear shock at home if you want it to tie you over till you buy your billies. It's done 100K miles but it isn't leaking so should be better than your one, depends how many miles the decent shock has done.

Appreciate that Westle mate. I think it will last me for now. Like I say, MOT is Sept and I will just do the suspension before the remap/007p/Green Filter from JBS Autodesigns.

I still need to find out what's wrong with the front, so going to just take it to Awesome GTI/JBS for a full checkover.

Cheers for the help gents.

Vague steering/knock over bumps. Several possibilities; track rods, front shocks, front springs, rubber bushes on the wishbones, steering rack.

In my experience the most likely will be your bushes followed by your shocks, I'm in the same position. I had my bushes replaced 8 months ago and it made the car feel brand new! I now have a squeak when I go over bumps which I know is one of my front shocks. I'll be going AP coils and adjustable tie bars in the near future.

Appreciate that, that seems to be the thinking of most people. Not had a chance to have a look under the car yet, just no time on my hands! Like I say, it'll be going in soon to have a health check and I'm sure all will become apparent!

Just been quoted 41+VAT per rear shock from GSF cart parts. Might just replace with standard to start with to get it through the MOT then do the suspension at a later date . . .

That's a good price compared to Audi. Its easy to change them over too. A full suspension overhaul is a big whack of cash to pay out on unless you've been planning it. I keep putting it off and spending my money on other things :banghead:

That's a good price compared to Audi. Its easy to change them over too. A full suspension overhaul is a big whack of cash to pay out on unless you've been planning it. I keep putting it off and spending my money on other things :banghead:

And me.... ****** stuff keeps breaking!

Just emailed you sonny jim!

Yeah that's the thing. Wasn't planning on modding for a year, so that's Dec time. I've emailed Welly, but two options;

1: Replace shocks with standard @ 40+VAT and save for full B8/H&R/tie bars etc 1k+ at later date.

2: Replace all shocks with Koni FSDs and use standard springs, negating need for tie bars and springs.

To which I replied:

That's a hard one mate. If it were me - I would see if anyone on ASN has rear shocks kicking about that they will part with for a bit of dosh.

I has the exact same issue as you and that's what I did to get me by until the time for suspension arrives.

I got a low mileage pair for £40 delivered. Job done. Cheap temporary fix, not taking much out of your suspension saving fund.

I agree with Welly there mate.

I'm thinking of going AP coilovers and have them set to the same ride hight as the current standard suspension so that I dont require adjustable bars imediately. MY mate has the APs and they are quality for £450

i didnt read all the thread so apologies if im repeating, just got a quote from audi for stock springs and shocks, may be helpfull? havent got it to hand but let me know if you want prices. If i recall it was around £500 all in for set of dampers, springs and top mounts.

Just been quoted 41+VAT per rear shock from GSF cart parts. Might just replace with standard to start with to get it through the MOT then do the suspension at a later date . . .
That gets my vote, you can always sell them on to a needy member ( oooo errr Mrs) afterwards?

Agreed Byzan. Although I've never wanted the car lower and damian (@dpm top lad) quoted me for b6 billies. Used with standard springs they're a good option for me. Updated but no lower so no springs orris bars req'd.

yeah the Billies are awesome, i have been in and driven a few on B8's, same shock but with a slightly shorter piston and the ride was very good, with excellent body control

JD, dont suppose you got part numbers from GSF? I'm on the site and cant see the part let alone any info on it???

Nor could I Sean. I rang up my local branch and asked. They quoted me the 40+VAT ish. They have to order them in though as I don't think they hold them in stock as standard.