Clutch Help

4sprung

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have an A3 1.8T (AGU) and the clutch broke a few weeks ago. I then purchased a copper clutch setup.
The kit included a 6 button clutch, a pressure plate from an A4 1.8 and a flywheel from a 2.0 Beetle/Golf 4.

The car was sent to through to a mechanic. 1st issue was the starter. The pinion on the starter was not moving the fly as mine had 10teeth. I was told I needed a 9 tooth pinion. I got the starter modified to a 9 tooth pinion. Now the mechanic tells me the flywheel is too big and is touching the gearbox and is not turning.

This same kit was installed on the A3 1.8T (AUM) and is working fine.

I would like to know, am I wasting my time with this kit? Will it be able to work?

I am not sure, but why have you purchased a kit not designed for your car would be my first worry . . . ?

I was desperate and needed the car working ASAP. Im really regretting my decision on buying that kit. Wasted my cash and need to try and get it working now. The guy I bought it from assured me it was going to work. :keule:

Bit difficult that then fella. I would honestly say cut your losses and sort it properly - going down the cheap as possible route usually ends in tears. But my mechanical knowledge is not the best. Tuffty or Leggy will be able to help/guide you I'm sure.

This damn kit was not cheap....which is even more sad. Thanks for the input buddy. I must say your S3 looks really good.