Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Engine hesitates when cold?

My car has recently started to hesitate when cold. Its most noticable when leaving my works car park as they have a 20mph limit. Sitting around 20mph the engine starts hesitating, easiest way to describe it is as if im lifting on and off the throttle a little bit.

Once the engine is warm the problem goes away but it can be abit lumpy at idle.

Had a garage run a diagnostics but they did not find any fault codes and said come back in a few weeks when the issues gets worse.

Do any of you guys have any ideas what it could be causing the problem?

Cheers,
    Chris
    2001 S3 - Ming Blue, Bose + AndyMac Stealth Sub + XCarlink iPod Interface with Bluetooth, Forge 007 (Yellow Spring), Green Cotton Panel Filter, Angel Tuning Remap, Milltek Cat-Back Resonated, Parking Sensors & Full Black Leather Nappa Recaros with Piano Black Trim.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Dodgy coolant temp sensor can cause those symptoms, telling the ECU the car is warm when it isn't, but it could be any number of things. Is your temp gauge behaving itself?
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Belgium S3 driver

Status
    I have the same problem. Coolant temp sensor G62 is allready replaced.
    Could it be a dodgy secundairy air pump? This will be removed next weekend.
    2002 S3 BAM Nogaro Blue | Navigation + | Bose SS
    Samco TIP | Forge DV 007p | R32 ARB's | Powerflex dogbone bushes | H&R monotube coilovers
    waiting for a remap

Neutral

Status
    I actually got the same problem too. My temp gauge sits perfectly at 90 since I changed the thermo.

Maybe it would be a good idea to change the sender?
    S3 225 BAM
    Stage 1 TuningChip, AEM Dryflow cone filter, 19" OZ Superturismos

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah my temp gauge is behaving its self. How much is a temp sensor?
    2001 S3 - Ming Blue, Bose + AndyMac Stealth Sub + XCarlink iPod Interface with Bluetooth, Forge 007 (Yellow Spring), Green Cotton Panel Filter, Angel Tuning Remap, Milltek Cat-Back Resonated, Parking Sensors & Full Black Leather Nappa Recaros with Piano Black Trim.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
    I have the same problem. Coolant temp sensor G62 is allready replaced.
    Could it be a dodgy secundairy air pump? This will be removed next weekend.
    Won't be the SAI I wouldn't of thought, only fires up on first start, and only pumps air through the head to warm the cats quicker.

Most of these sorts of problems are perished hoses (boost/vac leaks) on the inlet manifold, or around the N75 pipework which allow unmetered air into the engine. Very common for giving lumpy idle especially.

I have never seen an untouched 1.8T engine of any variant without a vac leak somewhere. Bear in mind that most of these engines are over 5 years old, many getting to 10 years these days. Rubber hoses don't last that long in a hostile environment like an engine bay.

Check your hoses, or if you have VAG COM then check engine measuring block 032. First value gives short term fuel adjustment. Any over +/-5% means something isn't quite right, and generally indicates vac leaks (due to the engine taking fuel away to adjust for unmetered air).

Changing the G62 temp sender not a bad shout - BUT one of you said said this has already been done, so can't be this in your case.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Oh and when it was in Audi for service the technician said it took longer than normal to reach temperature.

Neutral

Status
    I have checked block 032 and I was given a value of -0.2% so it might not be vac leak in my case.
    S3 225 BAM
    Stage 1 TuningChip, AEM Dryflow cone filter, 19" OZ Superturismos

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I have checked block 032 and I was given a value of -0.2% so it might not be vac leak in my case.
    Nope, you're spot on! . In your case, change the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor).

Go with a genuine part.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson