Rims and Grille Progress - Finally!!!!

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been wanting to do my rims for ages as they were in a bad way, so as a birthday treat to myself, I got my rims refurbed, had them powder coated in Gunmetal and I sprayed the grille surround in Matt Satin Black.

I had the wheels done by City Powder Coaters in Brum, I was very impressed with their service and the quick turnaround on the wheels, done within 3 days to a very high standard as well.

As for the grille, I was in two minds on whether to do the whole lot, but i think the rings remaining chrome really set it off, especially with the car being silver....

Oh and finally, I gave the car a clean as well, It would have been rude to have the car looking that dirty when the wheels looked so good!!

Going to spray the centre caps this week to match the wheels, although im actually liking the way they look at the mo.

C&C welcome :)

P1010126.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010127.jpg

NILZ :)

Cheers dudes, will do the centre caps this week, Tom, did you spray your centre caps or what??

looks good mate.
I have decided to do the grille surround as well. can you tell me how it comes off?
I know how to get the bumper off but how is the surround attached? cheers.

Cheers guys,

Ross, it just clips off, there are about 10 clips all the way round, you just need to get in behind it (the surround) and it pops out, i just used a scraper..lol, to wedge it out, then a firm piece of plastic, to unclip it all the way round, was off in seconds.

Gave it a rub down, then a few coats of primer, then a few coats of matt satin black, let it dry between coats, which didnt take long over the past few days with the way the sun was blazing down, so all in all was done in a couple of hours.

Nilz - When I had my wheels refurbed I got some genuine centre caps as the ones that came with my wheels were pants. The genuine ones are already the right colour so no need to paint :)

On a side note, I think I may have clocked your car early doors yesterday morning, parked on the drive side on?...looked good with the wheels done :) (not going into specifics with location obviously!). Neighbour got a gold passat?

Looks nice nilz !
how much did the refurb + powdercoat cost ? if you dont mind me asking ?
im just looking around for some prices/the right price ... or the right people !
ive got 4 avus s3 alloys sat in the garage ready and waiting !
itching to get them done !

Tom my centre caps are not just the little piece in the middle its a 5ish inch disc, that whole thing need painting, I might just do the whole thing and match that up and just have the black ring in the middle, and yea that was mine, the passat is mine temporarily, well saying that it goes back tomorrow, had some fun in that its a TDI Sport Auto, very different to the S...lol!!!

Dan, dont mind at all, refurb and powdercoat without the tyres on, cost £80 all in, with tyres, its £120, the place is called City Powder Coaters in Birmingham City Centre, I actually went to them on recommendation, there are a few negative reviews of the company, but as with everything, people have good and bad experiences, in my case, I had an excellent experience, they have done a top job and did it all in 3 days, I told them I was on a tight schedule and they did what they needed to and literally waited for me on a Friday evening to come and get the wheels fresh out of the oven (which they didnt have to do).

They have got lots of colour choices, you can get them on 0121 448 7646, ask for Lee, he was the one that looked after me, just tell him I recommended you.

Get them done mate, it will make such a difference when they are done, I honestly wasnt expecting such a good result.

Oh Tom, where did you get your centre caps from??

PJM Speedy got them for me, mine are the small round ones so different to yours...no need for painting as they're grey out of the box.

Cheers dude, I might just do the lot over the weekend, hopefully it wont rain and i can get them done in a couple of hours....

More pics to come once sorted :)

Looking fella, get a splitter on it now, will finish it off nicely IMO.

I was actually thinking of getting the splitter, but i think it will come off as soon as I come off or go on the drive, as its a sharp dip, and also the garage I use is the same, so may just end up being a waste of money!!

Still might do it though...lol

I was actually thinking of getting the splitter, but i think it will come off as soon as I come off or go on the drive, as its a sharp dip, and also the garage I use is the same, so may just end up being a waste of money!!

Still might do it though...lol

A bit or scrapage is 'cool' and 'scene' mate. :)

LOL...i know!!! But i cba with that anymore....

Nice and Simple is me :)

Oh by the way, just wanted to say thanks to you Jo for your offer of help :)

Colour coded the centre caps over the weekend, have done them a different shade to break the wheel up a bit, think it looks quite good and am now thinking of doing the grille surround and possibly the wing mirrors in the same colour as the centre cap.

WIll post up a pic later......

yea looks alright IMHO i think its needs different wheels FTW

Nah Jae, I think the S3 Avus are perfect, only thing that would make them better, is if they were available in 18s, however the S4 Avus is available, but they are as rare as rocking horse poo!!!

Centre cap now done and on the wheel:

Image209.jpg