Temperature Gauge not working!!!

MickA3

Reaction score
Can anybody help me out on this one cos i'm starting to get really disillusioned with my A3- only own my car few weeks- first I had the brake switch go, tracking was out- got it tracked and its still out- have to go back.......next the fan kept coming on for 10 minutes even if the car was literally switched on- off and now its the temperature gauge which isn't working at all or just moves a little bit- got the 'temperature switch'? (located on right of engine) replaced last night and it started moving drastically quickly between 70 and 90 degrees (incidently the first time it has ever reached ninety since i've had it!- it generally rarely moves from 60!)....and this morning on a half hour drive to work it once again did not move one from 60- can anybody shed some light on this?? The cars a 2001 with only 27K miles!!

Temp should stay static at 90 when warm. Check your fans are not on constintly.

I would check your temp switch again. Could well be a faulty "NEW" temp switch - you never know!

Hi. Ive had a similar problem where my gauge wouldnt register above 70 on long drives, even after changing the temp (or coolant) sensor.
The next logical part was the thermostat - which if faulty may be partly of fully stuck open, and therefore constantly diverting the coolant thru the rad from cold, so keeping the temp down. The only time it would reach optimum was when sitting still!

Now Ive changed both those parts it seems alot better, although it still doesnt want to stay at 90 (rather 80-85), and takes around 10 miles to actually get there, which is making me think perhaps one of my new parts is faulty or its something else...

Anyway hope thats of some help, if you get it fixed post the cause.

Andrew

AndrewUkR6: your problem sounds exactly the same as mine- i got the coolant sensor done and it went up to 75- then in traffic it went to 90 when stationary briefly before dropping back to 75- then back to 90 and then back to 70!!! And like yuors i barely register temp on long drives- I might try the thermostat (do you know how much they are/ how big a job).....might take neversaydie's advice and try a new temp switch too! Thanks for replies- will post up my progress......

Mine did this and a temp swith solved it! Porb have a dodgy new one! always the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The thermostat is not hard. its behind the alternator.

Cheers- i'm gona try another one and see (was told that Audi modified the temp sensors- ones you get now different to original!)- then i'll try the thermostat....of course hopefully i won't have to!!

Thermostat costs about £10 - but it is a little hard to get too, and does require a flush - cost me £40 but maybe audi would charge twice that.

Can you please tell me what a temp switch is - do you mean a coolant/ temperature sensor?

Cheers.

yeah, i mean coolant/temp sensor....cheers for all the advice!

Ok well keep me posted as Im still suffering!

Every mechanic seems to think of a differnt reason, I'd be surprised if it was the clocks but who knows, I've been told could be sensor, thermostat, blocked rad, failed water pump.

Andrew

Well, here i am- two temp coolant sensors later- and car is cutting out/ engine management light on/ no gauge movement and this morning i jumped into the car started her up- noticed ice on windows so turned car off and the fan kicks in!! It was Zero degrees out!! Car is now booked in for wednesday....i don't get it cos the computer gave error reading saying problem with tep coolant sensors performance- so thought the temp coolant sensor was faulty- replaced it and cleared the error...gauge still was giving dodgy readings but i thought it might settle down- no such luck- getting very frustrated.......will keep posting progress anyway.......

I haven't replaced the thermostat (yet!)....might be next- I'll suggest your ideas above to the mechanic on wednesday and see how things go....Thanks for the ideas....glad to hear your sorted anyway!! Its an annoying problem....

Well i figure i might as well keep posting how things are going for peoples reference if someone has this problem again, so here is the update- Car is with mechanic now- computer saying Engine management light caused by temperature coolant sensor which has been replaced twice....mechanic going to Audi with the car right now- problem was explained to Audi over the phone- they were baffled!!...........

please keep posting as i will be interested.

cheers

Heres the update: Mechanic/ Audi checked on computer the engine temperatue and it was reading 90 (everything mechanically sound) but the gauge was at 60 (not moving)- so thermostat/ fan etc all ok.....seems to be problem with the wiring (told unlikely) or the instrument dials (told more than likely the dials)....was hoping that might be sorted now that Audi used their computer to clear the error but as usual this morning- no temperature reading!

car getting booked in next week for auto electrician to have a look....and hopefully to spot the problem!

well, its not the wiring- thats been ruled out- so the dials themselves are being replaced next week....fingers crossed....

Has anybody solved this problem yet?.. Mine has just started doing it.

A friend said that the thermostat is remaining stuck open, possible causeng the ecu to overfuel to get it upto temperature

Sorry!! i said i would keep posting on this!!.....Yes, i actually did eventually get this sorted a while back and it was the thermostat- the old one even fell apart when it was removed (on a 30K mileage car!!) - now my temp gauge moves perfectly and sits bang in the middle on 90.... i would check things in this order-

1) Temperature Sensor
2) Thermostat

If that fails
3) Auto Electrician to check wiring all ok
4) Dials themselves

I should have went the thermostat route much earlier but i believed what the mechanics and also Audis word that it was the dials- luckily enough i decided to give the thermostat a shot first and am i glad i did!! Told Audi to shove their dials where the sun don't shine!! .... Hope you get it sorted!! And thanks to everyone who replied re this with advice- i should have listened to those of you telling me to do the thermostat ages ago!!!!

cool, thanks mate.

Next question.. How easy is it to change either of them?

Both changing the temperature sensor and changing the thermostat are easy jobs....both could easily be done in an hour....but remember to have a bottle of coolant on hand!....maybe someone on here has pics that could help you??