turbo hybridders

A3 XME

Reaction score
ok, so the name isnt really to the point......after deciding with your knowledgable advice to get a 1.8t, i am now going to ask as to reputable places to get the turbo hybrid and also as to what other mods/alterations will be needed to get the best performance out of the hybrid turbo itself.

all advice is welcomed

and thanks in advance

I am getting my turbo from CR turbo. Thats a K04 hybrid £595+VAT i found this the cheapest and seem like they know what there doing. Other mods get the best outa the turbo

1. Downpipe - Decat
2. Cat back
3. Turbo Intake Pipe
4. FMIC
5. Panel Filter/Induction Kit
6. DV
7. 4 Bar FPR

I am getting my turbo from CR turbo. Thats a K04 hybrid £595+VAT i found this the cheapest and seem like they know what there doing. Other mods get the best outa the turbo

1. Downpipe - Decat
2. Cat back
3. Turbo Intake Pipe
4. FMIC
5. Panel Filter/Induction Kit
6. DV
7. 4 Bar FPR

This list is mostly relevant if you have an S3, for an A3 you will need a few different/extra bits including...
S3 MAF (and suitable filter)
K03 Silicon TIP
S3/TT 225/LCR injectors

<tuffty/>

...and just to add, the K03 hybrid is differnt to that of the K04 hybrid.... its K04 internals in a K03 turbo essentially which means its more or less a straight swap fitment wise for the A3's K03 turbo.

It should be noted that all the other stuff needs to be fitted at the same time as fitting a K03 hybrid to an otherwise std A3 WILL not work :)

<tuffty/>

how much can a k04 hybrid potentially produce? Does anyone part exchange for a healthy k04? Does k04 hybrid need a different manifold?

how much can a k04 hybrid potentially produce? Does anyone part exchange for a healthy k04? Does k04 hybrid need a different manifold?

They quote 340-360bhp on a stage 4 K04 hybrid, everyone here is a bit skeptical about this figure but I've spoken to a few tuners n they reckon it is possible but you will need a few bits to reach it. You don't need a different manifold but it is recommended to get the most out of it. Speedy Steve on here is in the process of doing a K04 hybrid build n think he is doing it without a manny atm as there isn't one on the market yet.
I'm not sure they take part exchanges for a new one but I don't see why not, they take your healthy turbo and turn it into a hybrid which will cost a lot less than a new outright hybrid.

Last edited:
ok, so sounds like it could go pretty well witht the correct procedures taken, what would the average outcome be from the mods mentioned for the A3 version? if anyone has the info?

cheers

ok, so sounds like it could go pretty well witht the correct procedures taken, what would the average outcome be from the mods mentioned for the A3 version? if anyone has the info?

cheers

The hybrid K03 is a popular mod for Ibizas and Leons, there are loads of cars using this setup... one such Ibiza was dyno'd at 298bhp... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217772

<tuffty/>

ok cheers for the info tuffty.

and just for a bit of know on the potential, what could i be lookin at pushin out with "all" the right mods etc for upmost performance

Realistically 260 to 280 bhp, slightly more if you add water/meth injection ect.... with rods fitted you will get shed loads of torque as the boost can be wound up...

<tuffty/>

right ok thanks for the info, the bhp u give in average should be ok for what i want anyway. and ye will prob u[pgrade rods for quicker launch etc.

cheers guys appreciated

Youll probably struggle to get a good launch from 280bhp at the front!, you thought about getting a lsd? they aint cheap at £900bhp but people ive heard from on other cars say the lsd was the best mod they did.!

LSD will work best for cornering, not really gonna help loads off the line... launch control like a Race Logic solution would be better for that...

Buy yourself an A3 quattro if you want to put the power down... works for me :)

<tuffty/>

tuffty when you get to 400bhp, will you get the haldex controller? What you think of them.

tuffty when you get to 400bhp, will you get the haldex controller? What you think of them.

In theory they look ok but at the price and for how I drive I am not sure I shall be getting one anytime soon... I have as yet to break traction with the current setup ... next on the list (tuning wise) will be a SEM large port inlet manifold I suspect... after the clutch of course :)

<tuffty/>