Installing rear speakers

crackers187

Reaction score
Hi, recentley my rear door speakers went kaput. I've been able to buy a pair of 4" Bose speakers as replacements but have never fitted speakers into an Audi before. It's a 2001 s3 model...will I have to remove the rear door panels to replace the speakers?? Any assistance would be grateful!

Off the top of my head, you need to remove the rear quarter card to get to the speaker, I'm pretty sure you can't remove the speaker grills from the outside, but I stand to be corrected.

To remove it, you need to take the sill trim off, take the back seat cushions out then fold the rear seats down, open the rear windows and pull the rubber window seals off, and then it required a firm tug to pull it off, and you will probably snap some of the clip holders off, so have some superglue/araldite ready to repair them. Careful you don't damage the rear panel by bending it, most of the clips go along the window edge and up the B-pillar.

When me and my mate did mine we removed under the floor panel along the side where the side sills are. Not the side sill but the cover where the wiring runs underneath as the rear door card butts up to it and won't budge with it in place. Then take the rear sets and rear bench out with the basically every bit of leather seat comes out for which ever side ur doing. Not to hard to do the base is attached to a latch you need to get a big screwdriver to release it. We didn't take any of my window sill off or have to pop my rear window open... just gave the door card a big tug (took some brute force but watch where your tugging!) and the clips came off, but we didn't remove all the door card. Just pulled it out enough near the door so you could get enough room to get at speaker.

The speaker and plastic speaker housing is screwed into the door card and grill from the inside. You don't need to touch the grill as it's part of the door card. So while my mate slightly bent the door card back once we'd popped the clips it gave me enough access to remove the 3 torx screws which hold the speaker in place so the door card was in situ whilst we were doing it... Dead easy mate take you 25mins max with a friend. Just watch the clips along the seal and in the door card, and insert them in properelly i.e push them in place and make sure none have popped out when poping the sill and door card into place. Thinking about it when I did driver side we had to take bonnet release lever off as well to access the first screw of the sill along the side. Again just a screw.... Hope that helps.

Last edited:
when i done mine, lower seat came out, un screwed the inner B pillar trim, pulled off some of the door rubber and gave it a yank! (I SAID YANK)

I also ran my 3rd set of tweeters to the top of my B pillars at the same time.

You need to remove the rear seats first and then open the rear window. Pull the rubber window sill up away from the trim, but don't take it out completely, just pull it away enough to allow the trim to come out. Then carefully work your way around the trim panel to pull all of the clips that hold it in place.

This might help:

rear_seats.gif

Trim_rear.gif