BOSE SPEAKERS ARE CRAP!

DamoS3Q

Reaction score
I just changed my 6 Disk Bose HU to an lovely Alpine 60x4 job...after much fiddling about its all wired up..On there own they sound absolutly rubbish, strange cos with the standard audi unit they sounded ok...suppose that was because i didnt need to turn them up too loud to compensate for my new sub.

Has any one got any ideas or can recomend a ok set of components for the front and some speakers for the back...Im sure this has been asked before but wat size speaker go in the S3??

Cheers in advance

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have recently fitted a 6,5" DLS front system in my Ex-BOSE S3.
I bought the DLS PS6 kit. PS = Pro Slim wich is developed for small spaces and uses a different material in the magnet to allow for smaller outer dimensions. It can be fitted if you make an adapter out of MDF-board. Took quite some work and a lot of measuring and it is still tight, but it can be done.. I wanted a 6,5" kit to get some mid bass from the front and not to have the subwoofer to dominating.
The tweeters in this kit fits perfectly in the original hole.
I run the front system from a small DLS Amp. Really pleased with the result.

[ QUOTE ]
Damo said:
I just changed my 6 Disk Bose HU to an lovely Alpine 60x4 job...after much fiddling about its all wired up..On there own they sound absolutly rubbish, strange cos with the standard audi unit they sounded ok...suppose that was because i didnt need to turn them up too loud to compensate for my new sub.

Has any one got any ideas or can recomend a ok set of components for the front and some speakers for the back...Im sure this has been asked before but wat size speaker go in the S3??

Cheers in advance

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason they sounded crap with a after market headunit is because the BOSE system is different ohm, the speakers are made to be powered by the amp, if you remove the bose AMP from the equation you are going to get problems, as the bose speakers will sound bad.

Most people replace the whole speaker system when they have bose if you change the headunit.

You wont go wrong using MB-Quart speakers... Got them in my A3 and they are fantastic!

Rich

Without the Bose EQ from Bose encoded HU and amp, the speakers will sound horrible, they use 4" drivers all round, the ones in the rear have to use plastic adapters just to fit in the bigger hole.
If you dispense with the Bose amp, you need to dispense with the speakers as well. As already stated the Bose speakers are 2 ohm, which won't effect the sound as such but could blow up the amp in your Concert HU, as they will be presenting a lower load, drawing more current. You need to install a small 2 channel amp really for the fronts as the puny Concert only has 25w which will struggle to balance the sub.

do you think my Alpine HU which is 60x4 is powerfull enough to run a set of components????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You can get a set of OK components on ebay for around £30-£40 (Alpine), and for most people 60w will be ample if you don't have the cash for an amp. Fitting just speakers is a hellava lot easier than doing an amp as well.