changing cd headunit

MickA3

Reaction score
manged to get my hands on a sony cdx-mp80 cd/tuner/mp3 player- got mate of mine to wire it up but now i have crap front speaker sound/volume and a really annoying rythmic buzzing- also can't pick up radio stations and to top it off it doesn't turn off with the ignition (i have to take the face off)..........can anbody help??

It sounds like you have the permanent live and ignition live the wrong way round.

Do you have a volt meter? You should get a 12V reading on the ignition live when the ignition is on! and a constant 12v on the permanant live regardless of ignition position. This feeds the head unit so it retains your settings although the HU is off!

The Permanent live should go to the Yellow on a standard sony ISO connector and the ignition live should go to the red on a standard sony ISO, switch them over and it should turn off with the ignition.

It also sounds like your speakers are out of phase! i.e. live/negative are the wrong way round on the respective speakers! You'll find you will have one speaker wired up the opposite way round to the other
i.e. speaker 1 (+/+ -/-) and speaker 2(+-/+-)
hope this helps

Thanks for the help!- i'm not very electronic so i'll say that to my mate- all sounds like might sort things out- although as regards the speakers, they are the standard speakers and weren't touched?? does this mean the speaker wiring might be mixed up at the back of the headunit?.....
Also when i turn the volume down to zero i get a 'pop' sound? any ideas?
Oh and any idea what the brown connector attached to the aerial is for? currently thats doing nothing- Sorry bout all the questions- appreciate the help!!

i just changed my head unit for a lovely alpine jobbe, also fitted a new sub and mono amp... I had to get sextons to do the sub in the end cos it was too much of a paid...loads of interference and cudnt get the radio to work..apparently i need to audi booster thing.

I have to get another adapter thing to get the front spekers to work too....was a nightmare!!!!

To answer your question - yeh the speakers wires may well be mixed up at the back of the headunit but the popping sound when you turn the volume down sounds alarming! Does this happen only on the radio or when a CD is playing too?

Try playing a CD and see if the sound quality is improved, i suspect your ariel hasnt been wired properly. Sometimes they require a seperate earth!

I forgot to say earlier, on the sony ISO cable supplied with the radio there is usually bullet connectors between the Ignition live and permanent live to make it easy to switch between as some manufacturers have it the other way round! Should be easy to swap!

But sound quality wise, try a CD and see if its areial interference or incorrect wiring!

I've just put a CDX MP70 into my mates Accord Type-r and that really was a nightmare! The whole dash panel had to come out to remove the original crap!

Cheers Guys- gonna try get this sorted tomorrow........I can't take anymore popping/ buzzing, poor sound quality

well, thanks for the help but the mp3 player just isn't worth the hassle!! so its out of the car and the original is back- Sony headunit is now for sale!.......