Cheaper brake upgrades.

ross_broughton

Reaction score
Hi there...

Iv just spent quite alot of money on performance mods and am now looking to upgrade my brakes setup.

As I have spent more than I anticapted already I was hoping someone could recommend a cheap brake upgrade?

Was hoping for something no more than about £300?

FERODO / DS2500 Pads

Black Diamond Grove Discs

Motul Brake fluid

Less than £300

If your front disks are ok then Ferodo DS2500's and replace the fluid with Motul RBF600... if your discs need replacing then std discs are ok if on a tight budget or EBC Ultimax or Black Diamond are at the opposite end...

Some prices here... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199990#2

<tuffty/>

how much brake fluid is needed for the S3 system? what is the process for bleeding the new fluid through as i have read somewhere that you have to keep the fluid above minimum, rear brakes first??

I have 500ml of RBF but never got round to doing the fluid! cheers

how much brake fluid is needed for the S3 system? what is the process for bleeding the new fluid through as i have read somewhere that you have to keep the fluid above minimum, rear brakes first??

I have 500ml of RBF but never got round to doing the fluid! cheers

Generally have 1ltr available just in case for a full fluid change... Use a pressure bleeder such as the Gunson EEZI Bleed which can be bought from £10 to £15 on ebay or Halfrauds etc...

Start at the brake furthest away from the master cylinder... NSR, OSR, NSF then OSF... if your MC has bleed nipples (A3/S3 with ESP do, not sure about non ESP models though) then these will need bleeding too...

Use a tyre with no more than 20psi in it, any more and the fluid will drop too fast and you could introduce air into the fluid forcibly... Do a dry (no fluid in the EEZI Bleed bottle) pressure test first to test the seal of the cap on the MC reservoir as if this is not tight enough it will leak fluid or at worse **** it out all over the place... doing a dry test means you can tighten properly before doing it properly...

EEZI as that :)

<tuffty/>

If your front disks are ok then Ferodo DS2500's and replace the fluid with Motul RBF600... if your discs need replacing then std discs are ok if on a tight budget or EBC Ultimax or Black Diamond are at the opposite end...

Some prices here... http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199990#2

<tuffty/>

Would agree with that, I replace my well worn (48k) front discs with new OEM discs and that pad/fluid combo - the difference is immense, and I have a hell of a lot more faith in the car's brakes now.

Sound advice tufty :)

Is the bleed nipple on the MC easy to access?

There are two and an **** to get to on an S3, can't speak for an A3 as I haven't done one yet... on an S3 it normally requires removal of the strut brace at the least to make it easier to get your hand in... they are 7mm nipples IIRC and the easiest way I found is to crack the nipple off (not literally people) so its finger tight, push the bleed hose over, start up the EEZI Bleed then twist the blled hose to let the fluid flow... prob is you can't get a spanner in to loosen/tighten the nipple to start/stop fluid flow, this way should give you enough of a seal to prevent air ingress while the EEZI is 'off boost' (lol) so when done you can nip the nipple back tight ... its a pain but surprising how it can make the difference between having a pedal or not... especially after doing something like a front caliper upgraded or hose change etc...

You do not (typically) have to cycle the ABS pump using VAGCOM or bleed the clutch as long as you don't allow the fluid level to drop in the reservoir... the EEZI Bleed bottle has a line to help so its pretty safe to use...

One other thing I would suggest you get is a syringe or pipette to draw excess fluid out of the reservoir when you are done as it will be right at the top of the reservoir when you take the EEZI Bleed cap off...

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Does anyone have the EBC Ultimax front discs fitted? I'm considering getting them and just curious to see how they look..

you wanna get youself s3/tt/skoda vrs/leon/ibiza cupra front brake carriers. this allows you to get bigger discs on then go for which ever brake disc/pads you want.

i went for brembo discs and mintex pads which all came to about £270.

have a quick search on here mate it will pop loads of stuff up.