air filter question??

nath-w

Reaction score
Today while i was replacing my dipstick guide which i broke whilst doing my thermostat, i thought i would quickly check the air filter as i havnt owned the car long. Anyway it was filthy. I did think my car was a bit sluggish for a 1.8t, so i took it for a nip down the road with the airbox unclipped, and wow what a difference, cant believe how much more responsive my car was, and i could even here the turbo.

Anyway now i want a new air filter, but not sure whether to get a panel filter for standard box or get a cone filter. Also if i got a cone filter what would i do with the sensor thats screwed to the side of the airbox? Found this a bit strange as i used to own a 2001 s3 which didnt have this sensor on the airbox?

Green Cotton Panel Filter All The Way Mate :thumbsup:

...Also if i got a cone filter what would i do with the sensor thats screwed to the side of the airbox? Found this a bit strange as i used to own a 2001 s3 which didnt have this sensor on the airbox?

...its an ignition amplifier... later coil packs have all this built in to them (which makes them even more prone to failure)... you just need to re-mount it somewhere... I think its mounted to a heatsink? can't remember off hand... couple of others (Alpine, A3Tom) have done similar I think...

<tuffty/>

So does it not matter where I remount it the engine bay, or does it need to be near or inside some type of cold air feed?

SDC11822.jpg

this is what you want :)

Screw the Ignition Amp to the plastic wiring casing that runs down behind the air box with small self tappers. Thats what I did - worked a treat.

What induction kit is that?

its one i developed for the 1.8T lump. has direct cold feed running to the filter and is in a nice cool place. Heat shield`d pipe going to the maf and fannys ya uncle. cold air and lots of it. Proven figures i posted on here works a treat. sounds nice too :)

What parts did you use?

Where did you source them from?

Thinking doing the same on my S3 . . .

local sources, got cold air feed from a place in essex via ebay, custom made plates made either buy myself or by my pals at the steel works. you can get simalar bits off the bay but i found them to be quite sh1t quality. Filters i get from a local tuning shop/factory. there Simota filters.

Did you have to move the battey as my battery is close up to the wing, so theres no room to put a cone filter beside it?

mine dont have a oil breather.. but for those that do just pop a mini filter on it. shimples!