Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    157

    Haldex oil & filter change

    Went to a specialist today to ask about the Haldex oil & filter change, the guy said to drop it all out & replace + filter it would be Ł160, does this sould about right ?
    Audi wanted Ł139 but the specialist said they prob wouldn't drain it completely or something are they trying to pull my pants down or is there 2 different approaches to changing the fluid ?

    Cheers
    Steve

    Oh & while I got your attention, is it easy to do an oil & filter change on an S3 ?
    Cheers

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25
    Nah thats double what you should be paying mate should be around Ł80 for haldex oil and filter. if your in the midlands area id try midland vw. Oil and filter is easy enough to do your self.

  4. #3
    finesse's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London / Anglia
    Posts
    2,814
    Quote Originally Posted by gcs3 View Post
    Nah thats double what you should be paying mate should be around Ł80 for haldex oil and filter. if your in the midlands area id try midland vw. Oil and filter is easy enough to do your self.

    easy if you have the tools

    Ł80-Ł90 from specialist
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

    Gone:

    Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

  5. #4
    sportquattro's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ivybridge, United Kingdom
    Posts
    741
    Thats way over the top, oil and filter shouldnt cost more than about Ł40 and if you have/borrow the tool you can do it yourself in about 20 minutes.
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

    1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

  6. #5
    indiemike's Avatar
    ZoomZoom

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    385
    Went to QR sports in chester. Ł90

    Over Ł100 is taking the P___

    Was only there 10min when they done it
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

    Now : Cupra R 225

  7. #6
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    you dont change it all, parts are about Ł35 and its a 20 min job tops so 1/2 hr labour
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25
    I looked at doin the haldex oil and filter myself but after looking where the filter is i decided i couldnt be arsed lol. Would be an easy job with a lift. Engine oil and filter is easy enough tho.

  9. #8
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,272
    I've done the job twice now, once in a pit and once up on axle stands. The pit was very easy but its not that difficult on axle stands as long as you have the tool.

    Its about Ł30 for the tool on ebay then the filter & oil is about Ł30 too. Once you've done it once you wont believe how a stealer can charge over Ł100!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    151
    Had mine done today by my local vag specialist ontop of a service it was only like 60 quid ..

  11. #10
    Biggied's Avatar
    They called him mellow yellow.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    202
    From the sounds of it alot of you guys have had your haldex done incorrectly, if they done Haldex oil & filter in 10-20 mins you've been had, To do the haldex oil & filter properly the unit is drained @ the drain plug , filter replaced, oil refilled @ the fill/level plug then the car needs ran until the oil is @ the right temp (checked via Vac com etc, channel 22, MVB 2 IIRC) & then the level corrected when @ the correct temp.

    Most people will just pump fresh oil in through the drain plug which takes about 10 mins but this is not the correct method. Knowing how anal some S3 owners can be I'm sure you'd rather have it done the right way with the oil @ the right level & not just a random guess.

    Ewan.
    210hp 8L S3 quattro.

  12. #11
    finesse's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London / Anglia
    Posts
    2,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    I've done the job twice now, once in a pit and once up on axle stands. The pit was very easy but its not that difficult on axle stands as long as you have the tool.

    Its about Ł30 for the tool on ebay then the filter & oil is about Ł30 too. Once you've done it once you wont believe how a stealer can charge over Ł100!
    Westle, any chance of changing mine for me, parts and beer supplied


    Quote Originally Posted by Biggied View Post
    From the sounds of it alot of you guys have had your haldex done incorrectly, if they done Haldex oil & filter in 10-20 mins you've been had, To do the haldex oil & filter properly the unit is drained @ the drain plug , filter replaced, oil refilled @ the fill/level plug then the car needs ran until the oil is @ the right temp (checked via Vac com etc, channel 22, MVB 2 IIRC) & then the level corrected when @ the correct temp.

    Most people will just pump fresh oil in through the drain plug which takes about 10 mins but this is not the correct method. Knowing how anal some S3 owners can be I'm sure you'd rather have it done the right way with the oil @ the right level & not just a random guess.

    Ewan.

    Thanks for the knowledge!!
    Last edited by finesse; 20th May 2010 at 22:31.
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

    Gone:

    Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

  13. #12
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggied View Post
    From the sounds of it alot of you guys have had your haldex done incorrectly, if they done Haldex oil & filter in 10-20 mins you've been had, To do the haldex oil & filter properly the unit is drained @ the drain plug , filter replaced, oil refilled @ the fill/level plug then the car needs ran until the oil is @ the right temp (checked via Vac com etc, channel 22, MVB 2 IIRC) & then the level corrected when @ the correct temp.

    Most people will just pump fresh oil in through the drain plug which takes about 10 mins but this is not the correct method. Knowing how anal some S3 owners can be I'm sure you'd rather have it done the right way with the oil @ the right level & not just a random guess.

    Ewan.
    When I did my car I filled via the fill plug instead of pumping it back up the drain hole. When I did my mates haldex I was in an Audi stealer collecting the filter I asked one of the the mechanics how they do the oil change and they said they just squirt the new oil back up the drain hole. If the dealers do it this way then its good enough for me, and its quicker. They do however run the car to get the oil to temp to drain it.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  14. #13
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,272
    Quote Originally Posted by finesse View Post
    Westle, any chance of changing mine for me, parts and beer supplied

    Mate this isn't one of my favourite jobs to do on the S3 but I dont mind helping if you're really stuck.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  15. #14
    Ian W's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wirral, Merseyside
    Posts
    1,054
    Just booked mine into the local independent.

    Ł83.00

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO