could any one give me a guide into changing the thermostat
like how to do it
also do I have to mix the new coolant and at what %
any help would be great
thanks will

Alternatively

21mb4pj.jpg

50% coolant 50% water

If i was you i would buy a dipstick holder as these snap very easy!!

How long would you say this should take from start to finish
because I just got told buy a garage £75 labour does that sound right

Depends on what they are charging per hour labour I guess....

That seems a lot to me. I personally don't think a thermostat takes longer than an hour to change the first time, and 30 mins or less for repeats.

I would of though a garage could of done it in between 30 mins and an hour really, if not, then find a new garage.

It's not a hard job, it's just fiddly and irritating.

If I were you, I'd have a stab myself and spend the £75 you save on booze or something equally enjoyable.

Ok thanks welly I fault this was a bit steep my self are just try my self if it all goes wrong are buy the booze sit in a corner and cry lol

Yeah, that's not as bad as some quotes that have been posted on here from Audi in the past though.

You'll be fine. End of the day, it's 2 x 10mm bolts and a hose clip! Undo the hose clip and pull hose off. Allow coolant to drain out.

Top bolt is easy, bottom one requires a small spanner or 10mm socket with a universal joint and I admit is a fiddly ******. Can be made easier by removing alternator wiring (recommended - just don't forget to refit).

Pull plastic pipe off, pull old thermo out. Throw away. Fit new thermo the same way the old one came out. Secure with either a) new O ring (if using new, wipe it over with used coolant first) or b) old O ring.

Put plastic pipe back on. Put top bolt in to secure but don't tighten up too far yet, swear a lot as you try to get bottom bolt back in. Get it in eventually. Do both bolts up. Re fit alternator wiring. Refit hose.

Slap G12 in header tank until at bottom of sensor. Leave cap off header tank. Start engine. Top up header tank as required with water. Check for leaks. Turn heaters on 'HI' and fans on full. Check coolant level again. Leave for 2 mins. Put header tank cap on. Let engine warm to operating temp. Check coolant level again.

Done.