Service Oil Flashing on Trip??????

Add7

Reaction score
This flashes up everytime i start her. Is this just an oil change?

Is it easy to do for a begginer?

Cheers peps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes it is for an oil change and yes it is easy.

You get yourself a new filter 5l of oil and a new sump nut and washer.

Drive the car to get the oil warm and then jack the car up a bit.

Remove the filler cap and then remove the sump nut and drain the oil into a container that can hold 5l. The ones from halfords specially for this job are good.

Then use a filter removal tool to undo the filter (on the front of the block).

Get your new filter and smere some new oil onto the rubber seal and the screw it onto where the old one was. Do it nice and tight with your hands (not with a spanner etc).

then fit the new sump plug and set the car off the jacks. Fill with 4.5l of oil and start it up. Let it run for a couple of minutes on idle checking the oil light goes out.

Leave to stand for a few mins and then check the oil level. Top up if neccessary.

If I've lost you on any of the above, then get a professional to do the work.

Hope that helps.

Great. Thanks HTC.

My mate works at porsche, so il get him to help.

Thanks again for the detailed description.

but main thing is oil, i asked a mechanic the other day,,when he was doing my MOT

They also check for wear and tear on brake linings, disks, suspension, water levels, coolant, electrics, CV boots, drive shaft, blah blah blah blah these all need to be checked depending on what service it is.

[ QUOTE ]
neversaydie said:
And I'm a post whore tonight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are! Shame on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

ok...but when looking in the book it said if a service is due its flashes with "service insp" so i think it is just an oil change. im due for a service soon i think so may just get it done anyway.

Spent enought money latley so some more wont hurt. lol

Yup, there are several types of service.

Oil Service:
* Engine oil changed, filter renewed (as above)
* Water drained from fuel filter on diesel model (one screw LOL!!)
* brake pad thickness checked (if they remember)
* service indicator reset (as above)
* Toothed belt checked at (two clips)

So yeah, oil service is just that. No air filter which gets done every 40,000 miles as an extra.

Inpection Service also includes oil and filter change but with loads more stuff like, exhaust, antifreeze, brake fluid check, gearbox, CV boots/joints, steering, tyres, battery, track rod ends, doors etc.

Anyways, you get the picture.