Clay then t-cut?

Agreed
I think Jimmeh is Nottingham based, but its worth going to him or him coming to you, if you want top results.

Seen alot of his work over the time and I have to say, it is of a VERY high standard.

^^ This.
JD..heres a great plan.
Take a week off work, come down south (west) sort all of our cars out.. go home with a big wedge in your pocket.
Done.

What price would you guys be chargin? If I got hold of a machine, would it be hard for me to do? I
like doin things meself but obviously dong want to **** it up!

jd when you visiting down south?

^^ This.
JD..heres a great plan.
Take a week off work, come down south (west) sort all of our cars out.. go home with a big wedge in your pocket.
Done.

What price would you guys be chargin? If I got hold of a machine, would it be hard for me to do? I
like doin things meself but obviously dong want to **** it up!

I wish gents, sadly not going to happen as much as I would like it too! Audi's also take a lot longer than puney Clios!! The Renault paint is so soft, it's wonderful to detail but awful to live with!!

Jonezy, for an Audi A/S3 I would charge between £150 and £250*, condition, time and process dependant.

*These prices are based on my being an amateur/hobbiest and can therefore be no comparison to professional detailers . . . although £45 an hour is expensive IN MY OPINION ;)

Since we are showcasing work here's some more of my recent work & what can be achieved with the right methods, products and a little love! Keeping it VAG, and what a car! ;)

Before:
Ali%20RS4%20030.jpg

After:
Ali%20RS4%20072.jpg

Before: (paintwork looked dull and lacked the magic!)
Ali%20RS4%20010.jpg

During: (the magic is back - 50/50)
Ali%20RS4%20050.jpg

During: (making sure the swirls are out)
Ali%20RS4%20061.jpg

During: (starting to take shape)
Ali%20RS4%20102.jpg

During: (don't forget the metals)
Ali%20RS4%20094.jpg

After: (first pass of the finishing stages)
Ali%20RS4%20121.jpg

After: (second pass)
IMG_0153.jpg

After: (close up of the lovely flake pop)
IMG_0160.jpg

After: (one while the car basks in the sun)
IMG_0227.jpg

It's not hard to achieve this, the hardest bit is learning how to use a rotary polisher and the associated methods. I was taught by one of the best I've seen....Dave KG over on Detailing world! REMEMBER anyone can learn, given time and patience oh and a little money.

If you have the "eye" & common sense then it really isn't that hard. Watch loads of video's on how to use the machine and the different methods for different problems that you are faced with. There are a whole load of web-sites and informational tutorials on detailing world and spread over the web.

I'd say get out there buy yourself a Rotary or a Dual action (less likely to burn clear coat) and cheaper, along with some good proven products, implement some common sense with what you've watched and learned via the web and it IS possible to achieve the above. I know, I've done it.

G

Last edited:
To add to the (rubbish) above, if you really are considering machine polishing the car yourself, do not buy a rotary on your first go. There are so many horror stories, and while a lot of these can be avoided, you will still not be able to tell how much paint you have taken off.

I started with a dual action Porter Cable about 6/7 years ago. No paint depth guage at the time. As soon as I started to get serious about the abilities of the machine (not just using a bit of Super Resin Polish to make it "shiny"), I invested in a PDG.

Remember, the art (for which you pay detailers) is to remove the swirls with the least amount of clearcoat loss as possible.

up for organising for Mr G to detail/polish a couple of cars in the south east

or on the other hand buy my own kit and try..

Ha, Gav, what have you let yourself in for now pal! You're now officially the SAAAATTTTHHHH bitch ;)

To add to the (rubbish) above, if you really are considering machine polishing the car yourself, do not buy a rotary on your first go. There are so many horror stories, and while a lot of these can be avoided, you will still not be able to tell how much paint you have taken off.

I started with a dual action Porter Cable about 6/7 years ago. No paint depth guage at the time. As soon as I started to get serious about the abilities of the machine (not just using a bit of Super Resin Polish to make it "shiny"), I invested in a PDG.

Remember, the art (for which you pay detailers) is to remove the swirls with the least amount of clearcoat loss as possible.

Already said! :)

The main objective is to remove as little clear coat as possible, so start light and work your way through the products until you are satisfied with the results of the "first" pass of the polisher. You would refine the finish per panel then using something like PO106FA and could use a mixture of two Menzerna products to get a really sharp and clear paint correction with minimal effort required, just takes time and patience.

Oh and it's not rubbish, it's just your opinion. :)

I measure my paint before and after thank you very much. My own car I did not, as I couldn't afford one at the time. There are loads of members on DW which will aid in measuring paint before one starts the process! It's a matter of asking.

Theres nothing wrong with a rotary if you apply common sense! Which some obviously lack ;)

G

Both great products, could i suggest one of the following though:

Selection of pads. Those are nicer pads, depending on what you want to achieve and how bad the car is to start with, I'd need to see pictures really to give some "amateur" advise to you!

Chemical? onto pad? Not sure I follow, do you mean compound?

G

Lol, only joshing lad, it was exactly what I would have written if I could be bothered ha! Feel as though I've written it thousands of times!

Not keen on the swirl remover Sonus pads. But the SFX range are superb. Hard wearing etc.

Lake County are great as well. Their CCS range was very good and the link above to their newer products are very good on the rotary.

For other rotary users, 3M pads are the best I've used so far.

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/3M_150mm_Pads_1.html